This Week in Entertainment

By Louis Lesser     10/24/12 7:00pm

Music from Another Dimension! (Aerosmith) - The return of the best-selling American rock band of all time also marks the band's first collection of all-original tracks since 2001's Just Push Play, the longest gap between new releases from the group, and is a collection of new recordings reportedly dating back to 2006. The effort includes singles such as "Legendary Child" and "Lover Alot" and is the last album in the band's recording contract with Columbia Records. After a near breakup of the band in late 2009, fans should be relieved to see new material from the rock 'n' roll legends.

Chasing Mavericks - Based on a true story, this film documents the efforts of the late Jay Moriarity (played by newcomer Jonny Weston), a surfer with a quest to conquer some of North America's most dangerous waves in Northern California. Under the guidance and training of a local legend (Gerard Butler, 300), a distinct friendship develops before the two men take to the sea to accomplish "the impossible." The film also features Elisabeth Shue (Leaving Las Vegas). (PG, 116 min.)

The Campaign  - This summer's political comedy pitting Will Ferrell (Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy) against Zach Galifianakis (The Hangover) in a duel for a pivotal congressional seat is being released for home entertainment fittingly just before the national election. The movie features the duo's brand of nonsensical humor but also ventures into political satire, lampooning the influence of corporate money in modern American politics. Bonus features include deleted scenes and a digital copy of the film. (R, 85 min., available on DVD, 2-Disc Extended Edition DVD and Blu-Ray.)

Dreams & Nightmares (Meek Mill) - After years as a mixtape artist from West Philadelphia prided on a passionate fan base of "dream-chasers," Meek Mill (real name: Robert Williams) signed with fellow MC Rick Ross' Maybach Music Group in early 2011 and, after appearing on the group's collaborative Self Made series of albums, is finally making his major label debut. Featuring collaborations with John Legend, Nas, label-mate Wale and Houston's own Kirko Bangz, look for Meek to add to 2012's growing legacy for young hip-hop artists.

Cloud Atlas - The directorial return of the Wachowski siblings (The Matrix Trilogy) adapts the 2004 science fiction novel of the same name by David Mitchell. This is one of the most expensive independent films of all time, with a reported budget of $100 million. A story of human interaction, the film is notable for its use of a few actors to play multiple roles, including Academy Award winners Tom Hanks (Forest Gump) and Halle Berry (Monster's Ball). The film received a 10-minute standing ovation at the Toronto International Film Festival, but not all critical reception has been kind. (R, 172 min.)

The Panther (Nelson DeMille) - The sixth entry in the popular John Corey novels, this new entry follows the anti-terrorist task force member and his wife while posted in Yemen, where they track down a high-ranking al-Qaida operative known as "The Panther." Early reception has indicated that the book lives up to the bar set by its predecessors in terms of fast-paced action and suspense while maintaining a wry sense of humor and is a worthy read for any fan of adventure fiction.