This Week in Entertainment

By Louis Lesser     10/18/12 7:00pm

Red - Taylor Swift - The fourth studio album from the megastar, paced by breakout singles "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" (which topped the Billboard Hot 100 while becoming the fastest-selling song in digital history) and "I Knew You Were Trouble," looks to set anticipated sales records in its opening week. Taking a decidedly more pop-heavy direction than her previous efforts, Swift again includes self-penned anthems of love lost, including a duet with rising singer-songwriter Ed Sheeran. (Also available in 2-Disc Deluxe Edition)

Paranormal Activity 4 -The fourth entry in the wildly popular and profitable horror series uses its characteristic found-footage technique to tell the story of a family bothered by the presence of ghosts. However, in order to differentiate this installment from previous films in the franchise, Paranormal Activity 4 utilizes other forms of cameras to document the horror, including a laptop camera and Xbox Kinect technology. Featuring Katie Featherston (Paranormal Activity) and Kathryn Newton (Bad Teacher). (R, 95 minutes)

Magic Mike - The surprise summer box-office hit from Academy Award-winning director Steven Soderbergh stars Channing Tatum (21 Jump Street) in a semi-autobiographical role as a male exotic dancer helping a young new recruit find his way. Despite featuring scene-stealing supporting performances from Matthew McConaughey (The  Lincoln Lawyer) and Matt Bomer (White Collar), the film is surprisingly darker than its advertising leads audiences to believe. Bonus features include deleted dance scenes and behind-the-scenes documentaries. (R, 110 minutes)

good kid, m.A.A.d. city - Kendrick Lamar - Following his highly-acclaimed independent release Section.80, Lamar faces the pressure of releasing perhaps the most anticipated debut studio album from a rapper this year. One of the 11 XXL Magazine Freshmen of the Year in 2011, the Compton, Calif., native puts forth a biographical love letter of hip-hop, documenting the struggles of his youth in a crime-plagued urban neighborhood. The album features guest appearances from Drake, Top Dawg Entertainment label-mate Jay Rock and the king of West Coast hip-hop himself, Dr. Dre.

Alex Cross - Based on James Patterson's blockbuster series of crime-thrillers, this film marks the return of the famed police detective and psychologist Alex Cross since his silver screen debut in 2001's Along Came A Spider. Inheriting the title role from Morgan Freeman is Tyler Perry (Madea's Family Reunion), who will be acting in only the second  film (Star Trek) that he is not also directing, writing or producing. Also starring Matthew Fox (Lost), the film aims to breathe life into an aged franchise. (PG-13, 102 minutes)

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - While Steven Spielberg's faithful adaptation of the life of Abraham Lincoln hits theaters next month, this summer's fantasy horror film from the director of Wanted takes the life of America's 16th president and turns it on its head. In the parallel universe of the film, Honest Abe (Benjamin Walker, Flags of our Fathers) leads the United States, but not without killing a few vampires on the side. Bonus features include audio commentary, making-of documentaries and a Linkin Park music video. (R, 105 minutes)