Saturday, July 24, 2021 — Houston, TX 77°

Fall registration changes strive for fairness

By Nicole Zhao     8/22/12 7:00pm

Waitlists were purged for the first time in the system's third semester at Rice. 

On the morning of Aug. 22, waitlists for all courses that opted to have a waitlist were purged, except for courses that specifically requested to keep the waitlist active through the shopping period, according to the Registrar's website. After the purge, students were able to special register for classes or add classes on a space-available basis. 

Registrar David Tenney (Sid Richardson '87) said that this purge was requested by faculty members so that the ultimate decision to add students depended on course instructors. 

"If you go to the instructor and you say, 'I'm a senior. I need this class,' you may have been 47th on the waitlist, but now they have the right to put you in the class," Tenney said. "All through the summer, the waitlist [was] in place and was fair for four months. On Wednesday, it [reverts] the flexibility back to the instructor."

The third day of classes was specifically chosen to ensure that every class had met once before the purge, Tenney said. 

Martel College senior Navi Dhaliwal thought that the purge improved the waitlist process. 

"Waitlists being purged on the third day of classes strikes a nice balance between allowing instructor autonomy and creating a fair system for all students attempting to enter a class," Dhaliwal said. 

Brown College sophomore Sarah Frazier thought the waitlist made up for the unfairness of registering by credit hours. 

"It gives upperclassmen who came in with fewer hours more of a chance to get into classes, since they aren't bound by the waiting list order, which is basically determined by registration time slot," Frazier said. 

Task force calls for ‘bold change’ of academic quad, potentially relocating Willy’s statue

The Task Force on Slavery, Segregation and Racial Injustice unanimously called for a competition to redesign the academic quad and for further campus-wide events and discussions to educate the Rice community about the university’s founder. Though the task force did recommend an end to the statue’s position as “an iconic image of the university in its publicity,” they stopped short of endorsing the removal of William Marsh Rice’s statue.

Rice announces student vaccine requirement for fall semester

All members of the Rice community are expected to return in person for the fall and all students who come to campus are expected to be fully vaccinated before the fall semester, President David Leebron announced in an email Friday. Students who receive a medical or religious waiver must continue to test weekly and wear a mask indoors, according to the email.

Leebron to step down in 2022, reflects on past years

President David Leebron announced that he will be stepping down from his role after this coming academic year on June 30, 2022 in an email to the Rice community Tuesday morning. Next year will mark Leebron’s 18th year as president after taking on the position in 2004.