Friday, May 10, 2024 — Houston, TX

Albums and Abominations: 21st Annual KTRU Outdoor Show rocks with eclectic set

By Benjamin Huber-Rodriguez     3/29/12 7:00pm

As I arrived on scene at the 21st Annual KTRU Outdoor Show, I was greeted with exactly what an ideal music festival should be: a beautiful spring day, a local band rocking out on stage, groups of kids sitting right down on the grass and actually listening to the music, and a ton of free locally brewed beer.

As the day went on, more and more people showed up to hear some of the more well-known groups entertain, but all the bands were solid. While in some ways, smaller, more traditional music festivals have started to fall out of fashion as music moves in a more electronic direction, KTRU still knows how to get a bunch of people together to enjoy the weather and relax to the tune of some 20 local artists rocking out on stage.

The first group I saw was Rice University's own Jesus, the Crazy, and the Bad Kids. The band consists of Duncan College sophomore Nick Ryder on drums; Duncan sophomore Michael DeMarco on guitar; Duncan sophomore Phil Dentino on bass, keyboard and vocals; Martel College sophomore Tasneem Islam on lead vocals; Baker College freshman Beau Reescano on saxophone; and Brown College sophomore Thomas Silverman on saxophone and flute. If you haven't heard of Jesus by now, you will soon; this band is the real deal. The group has developed a knack for the jazz lounge music that perfectly accompanies Islam's rich voice. Dention, Reescano and Silverman interrupt with funky and harmonic improv sections. Ryder keeps perfect rhythm even when his drumstick breaks, and DeMarco lashes out with Jimi Hendrix-style guitar solos behind bluesy chord progressions. Give their Facebook page a peek and book them for your next event; you won't regret it.

Next up was the Demonic Hen, a Houston metal group that may have captured more attention with its appearance than with its music. All five members dressed as giant vegetables and sang hardcore rock songs about the importance of good nutrition. Still, the gimmick worked for Demonic Hen, which kept the audience alert, if not a bit mystified. They have been getting some local gigs, so if that is your style, they are quite an entertaining bunch to watch live.

The Thermals, an indie rock group from Portland, Ore., with its share of clout in the independent music scene, followed. Their quick, guitar-driven, upbeat melodies were quite catchy, and the band displayed the energy of experienced performers to get the crowd moving. Ripping guitar solos alongside singer Hutch Harris' high-pitched, impassioned vocals made for a great performance from the three-member band, which has released five albums on the Sub Pop label since 2003. The Thermals are definitely a group to check out if you are into rock music.

Punk group The Energy brought another talented rock act to the stage, as its building, fast-paced riffs fit strangely, but well, with lead singer Arthur Bates' deadpan vocal strategy. His singing at first sounded lackluster and bored, but it soon became apparent that his distinctive style is what helps give the group identity.

I missed New Jersey punk rockers Titus Andronicus but was back in time to see veteran Rice performers The Wild Moccasins. As you may remember from their performance at the Welcome Back Concert, The Wild Moccasins excel at interlacing catchy, melodic keyboard and guitar parts beautifully with singer and keyboardist Zahira Gutierrez's thriving vocal harmonies. Their dance-friendly tunes made them my favorite performance of the day. The Wild Moccasins have become a staple of the Houston music scene, and with some increased coverage, they could burst out into the national scene soon; keep your eyes open.

When synthpop duo Chairlift took the stage, the crowd stopped resembling a gathering and started resembling the presence one would expect at a music festival. Chairlift sounded crisp and played some fan favorites as well as several tracks from its recent album Something, which was reviewed in the Rice Thresher earlier this year. With expert precision on keyboards and vocals, Chairlift demonstrated why it was perhaps the best-known band at the festival.

Finally, the concert came to an end with native Houston rapper Slim Thug. Thug's DJ entertained the crowd for a half-hour or so beforehand, even inviting some audience members onto the stage to dance. The crowd reached a maximum, as many fans skipped the rock music but came out for the hip-hop. Slim Thug did not disappoint, either; he entertained with some of his hits, like "Still Tippin," as well as some older tracks to keep the crowd engaged throughout the performance. I especially enjoyed the many Houston references in his music.

As a whole, it would have been nice to see a better turnout for the earlier bands, which nonetheless displayed high energy and performed very well. The set list was solid overall, with a good mix of harder and more melodic rock, jazz and hip-hop mixed in. KTRU's sound and mixing were excellent; nothing was too strong, the singers were clearly heard and even the transition time between groups was kept to a minimum. Attendance issues may have been the result of the simultaneous and widely publicized SXSW concerts in Austin, Texas, but those who were at the KTRU outdoor concert seemed to have had a great time. I look forward to next year's show, as should you.

Benjamin Huber Rodriguez is a Duncan College freshman. Albums and Abominations is a column featuring the latest album releases and music events.