Friday, February 23, 2024 — Houston, TX

Jones student accused of sexual assault on fellow student

By Hallie Jordan     11/9/11 6:00pm

Jones School of Business student Christopher Steiner, 30, has been accused of burglary with intent to commit another felony – sexual assault of a fellow student, according to recent court records. The case was filed with the Harris County District Attorney's office on Monday.

According to court records, the alleged victim told police that she woke up in her bed with Steiner on top of her in his underwear, touching her private parts. According to court records, Steiner walked in through an unlocked front door and then the closed bedroom door. Acording to court records, the alleged victim screamed and Steiner left. According to court records, he later made a second attempt to enter her apartment, at which point she called the Rice University Police Department.

The accused and alleged victim live in the same apartment building on Kirby, and though they are not friends, she was able to identify him by sight, according to the police report.

Steiner has given a written apology to the victim, ABC13 reported.

If convicted, Steiner, who matriculated as a Rice graduate student this fall, could face prison time and a $10,000 fine. He was released on a $20,000 bond.

Both the Jones Business School and RUPD declined to comment as the case is still pending.

SA presidential debate centers around budget

Student Association presidential candidates Jae Kim and Trevor Tobey discussed their vision for the presidency and the SA at the Thresher’s SA debate on Monday, Feb. 19. Candidates for secretary and treasurer, the other contested elections, also took the stage during the night.

Condoleezza Rice visits Rice University

Condoleezza Rice, a former United States secretary of state and national security advisor under President George W. Bush, came to Rice to speak with David Satterfield, the director of the Baker Institute, as a part of the Shell Distinguished Lecture Series Feb. 15. 

Community members protest Condoleezza Rice event at Baker Institute

Students and community members gathered in the Central Quad Feb. 15 to protest Condoleezza Rice, former secretary of state and national security advisor to George W. Bush, coming to campus, demanding that the university “divest from death.” A Houston Police Department officer at the protest estimated nearly 100 protesters were in attendance throughout.