Wednesday, August 10, 2022 — Houston, TX

Research Vice Provost to leave

By Hallie Jordan     4/21/11 7:00pm

Vice Provost for Research James Coleman will leave Rice to become Dean of the Humanities and Sciences at Virginia Commonwealth University, effective July 15.

"Jim has really made a huge contribution to Rice's research and to the infrastructure needed to support the faculty," Vice President of Public Affairs Linda Thrane said.

During his time here he helped the university get over $100 million in sponsored research grants, both from the government and from private institutions, Thrane said.

Coleman, also a professor of ecology and evolutionary biology, has been at Rice since 2007.

VCU, Virginia's largest public university, has 15,000 students in its Humanities and Science department, where Coleman will be working.

"VCU is extraodinarily transformational and I am very excited to be going to a high-quality place that truly has a public mission, providing the most opportunities possible for students," Coleman said.

Because VCU was founded in 1969, it is still working on establishing its research basis. Coleman said he hopes to develop new relationships with alumni community leaders and create profiles for the quality of research facilities.

"It is an advantage to understand the challenges that happen with research and what's important at the university level," Coleman said.

Thrane, who worked with Coleman to communicate research updates to the university, emphasized how much the university has benefited from Coleman's efforts.

"In addition to being a brilliant researcher, he is really a great friend and human being," Thrane said. "I will miss him for the friendship and warmth he brought to Rice."

Michigan professor Amy Dittmar named Rice’s next provost

Amy Dittmar, the senior vice provost for academic and budgetary affairs and a professor of economics and finance at the University of Michigan, has been selected as Rice’s new provost, incoming president Reginald DesRoches announced Thursday. DesRoches, the current provost, will become Rice’s president on July 1, and Dittmar will start August 1.

SA drafts formal complaint against Chi Alpha after discrimination accusations

The Student Association executive board drafted a formal complaint against the Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship to present to University Court for violation of the SA Constitution nondiscrimination policy that every Rice organization is required to adhere to. This complaint comes in light of the recently published Thresher article, where several students shared their experience with discrimation within the club on the basis of sexual orientation.