Women's basketball falls to Bears

By Michael Kidd     11/18/13 6:00pm

The Rice Owls women's basketball team traveled to Waco to face Baylor University Monday, Nov. 18. Coming in as the ninth-ranked team in the nation, Baylor defeated the Owls 79-46 for its 60th consecutive win at home.

At the beginning of the game, the Owls kept up with the Bears. After the first eight minutes, the Owls were only trailing 11-9. Baylor went on a 34-9 run to finish the first half to pull further ahead, 45-18 and held on to that lead until the end of the game.

Senior forward Jessica Kuster led Rice with 15 points and 11 rebounds, while freshman forward Jasmine Goodwine contributed 10 points in 24 minutes of play. The Owls shot 21 percent from the field in the first half. Despite the loss, Kuster earned her fourth consecutive double-double this season, which is the 44th of her Rice career.

The Owls now return home to face Southern University and A&M College Thursday, Nov. 21 at 7 p.m. at Tudor Fieldhouse. The Jaguars began the year 3-0 but are coming off a loss to Florida State University last Friday, Nov. 17. 

Following Thursday's home game, the Owls will travel to East Lansing, Mich. to play Michigan State University Nov. 23 before returning to Tudor Fieldhouse Nov. 26 to face Sam Houston State University.

During Thanksgiving break, the Owls will go to the Omni Hotels Classic in Boulder, Colo. Rice will play against Samford University and could face the University of South Alabama or the host University of Colorado, Boulder, depending on the result of the first game.

After winning the first two games of the season, the Owls have dropped their last two to fall  to 2-2 on the season. Rice returns to its home court, where it went 14-2 last season in hopes of improving its overall record to 3-2.