Golden goals set up soccer's fifth win of the season

By Dan Elledge     9/21/11 7:00pm

The Owls ended the non-conference slate with a bang last Saturday as they outlasted Western Kentucky University, 3-2 in a double overtime thriller. It was the Owls second double-overtime win of the season as they beat Louisiana State University 1-0 in double-overtime at home on Sept. 2.

Rice did not wait long to capitalize on an opportunity as sophomore forward Jessica Howard added a goal in the 19th minute to give the Owls a 1-0 lead.

The Owls' lead did not last for long, as the Hilltoppers tied the game at 1-1 in the 32nd minute thanks to a goal from Western Kentucky senior forward Mallory Outerbridge. Rice could not find the back of the net for the rest of the half and the game went into halftime tied 1-1.

Coming out of halftime, Western Kentucky took advantage of their chances as they added to their lead thanks to a goal from Hilltopper sophomore midfielder Torrie Lange in the 56th minute. The Owls attacked right back as Howard added her second goal of the night three minutes later.

Even though the Owls had multiple opportunities in the last few moments of regulation, they could not finish the job. Senior forward Annie Kadota's shot on goal in the 85th minute was saved by the goalkeeper, as was fellow senior forward Hope Ward's attempt to head in the game-winner in the 90th minute.

Although the Owls dominated the game by outshooting Western Kentucky 23-13 through 90 minutes, it was all for naught as the game was tied 2-2 and headed to overtime.

In the first overtime session, senior forward Nikki Storness tried to end the game in the 94th minute, but her shot was saved. However, in the 102nd minute in second overtime, she would not be denied as she put the shot past the goalkeeper to seal the win for the Owls. It was Storness' first goal of the season, and it could not have come at a better time for the veteran.

Head Coach Nicky Adams was ecstatic about the win and proud of Storness' deciding goal.

"That was huge for Nikki to get the game-winner tonight in double-overtime," Adams said. "I've been proud of her as one of our senior leaders off the field, and tonight she stepped-up with a finishing play on the field to get her teammates a win. I'm happy for Nikki and the girls for the way it finished out tonight."

The Owls are 5-2-1 for the young season as they start Conference USA tonight against the University of Alabama Birmingham and get to play at home against Memphis University Sunday afternoon. The Owls hope they can get the results they want and start off the conference season with some momentum.

This is the first conference game of the season. The Owls hope to avenge last year's 1-0 loss at UAB. The Owls also host Memphis on Sunday afternoon.