By Michael Kidd

Soccer outscores opponents 10-0

The Rice University soccer team (6-1-2, 2-0 C-USA) played at home this past weekend to open their 2014 Conference USA schedule. The Owls took two more victories to add to their streak of unbeaten matches, which now stands at eight games. Rice defeated the University of Southern Mississippi 4-0 at home on Friday night. The Owls followed up that performance with a 6-0 defeat over Louisiana Tech University, in which junior Holly Hargreaves scored four goals.

Soccer defeats Air Force Academy

This past weekend, the Rice University soccer team hosted and defeated the Air Force Academy Falcons for the first time in school history. In the 21st minute of the match, Air Force struck a crossed-in ball past Rice goalkeeper Amy Czyz to take a 1-0 lead. Just two minutes later, the Falcons added a second goal, giving them a 2-0 cushion early in the game. In the 30th minute, Rice sophomore Jenny Fichera fired a shot and found the top of the net, just avoiding the diving hand of the Air Force goalkeeper, making the halftime score 2-1 in favor of Air Force.

Soccer draws against Arkansas

The Rice University soccer team traveled this past weekend to Fayetteville, Ark. to face the University of Arkansas Razorbacks. This matchup marked the final road game for the Owls before the start of Conference USA play.