Show up to support student athletes

Despite their disappointing 45-21 season-ending loss to Texas State in the First Responder Bowl, the Rice football team has reason for optimism going forward: The Owls played in their second-straight bowl game while going 4-4 in their first season as members of the American Athletic Conference. Winning their most games in a season since 2014 and defeating crosstown rivals University of Houston in the Bayou Bucket has made this season a successful one for head coach Mike Bloomgren, who has significantly turned around this football program since he arrived in 2018. 

In addition to football, the Owls have remained competitive in numerous other sports. Specifically, the women’s basketball team has started their season strongly, with an 8-5 overall record and a 2-0 record against conference play, good for third in the AAC. Furthermore, the women’s volleyball team also had a great season, with players Emilia Weske, Nia McCardell and Danyle Courtley being named to all-conference honors last November. The team finished 18-11 last season while also making several cameos in the NCAA top 25 rankings early in the season.

Aside from their success during the season, Football has remained active in improving their roster during the offseason. Bolstering their team in areas of weaknesses, the Owls attracted three-star transfer quarterback E.J. Warner, the son of NFL Hall of Famer Kurt Warner, three-star EDGE Michael Daley and many others. Bloomgren and his coaching staff will hope that these transfers and the incoming freshman recruits can continue contributing to the Owls on the field as Rice progresses into relevancy. 

The new semester brings new opportunities to support our student-athletes. From free basketball games at Tudor Fieldhouse to baseball resuming in just over a month, there are a multitude of opportunities for us students to rally behind the Owls. Student attendance at games is instrumental in boosting the morale of our teams and in turn giving them a bigger chance of success. As much as our athletes have had great progress, it is up to us, as students, to show up and root for our peers. 

Editor’s Note: Thresher editorials are collectively written by the members of the Thresher’s editorial board. Current members include Prayag Gordy, Riya Misra, Nayeli Shad, Brandon Chen, Sammy Baek, Sarah Knowlton, Hadley Medlock and Pavithr Goli.