Houston holiday events to get you through the finals frenzy

holidayactivities-amycao
Amy Cao / Thresher

By Ashley Wang     11/28/23 11:36pm

December may seem like a dreary time of year on campus, but there are plenty of events happening in Houston to lift your spirits. If you’re hoping to get your mind off your mounting pile of exams to study for and essays to write (or procrastinate on), then look no further. 

Houston Zoo Lights

You won’t want to miss the Houston Zoo’s annual magnificent light display, complete with light tunnels, glittering rows of trees and towering LED animals. This holiday season, the Houston Zoo Lights are open for viewing any day from 5:30 to 10:30 p.m., with final entry at 9:30 p.m., until Jan. 7. Ticket prices vary slightly by day but are typically around $28. 

Address: 6200 Hermann Park Dr, Houston, TX 77030

Holiday Market at the Houston Toy Museum

If you’re feeling nostalgic for your favorite childhood toys and TV shows, you’re in luck. The Houston Toy Museum is hosting its first ever Holiday Market Dec. 3 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. The market will feature local vendors and artists selling a range of pop culture-themed items, from handmade action figures to Tamagotchi keychains to Care Bear mugs with sarcastic captions. Tickets are available for $10 on Eventbrite and include admission into the museum, which offers whimsical exhibits of vintage toys and their histories.

Address: 321 W 19th St Suite C, Houston, TX 77008 

Flea by Night at Discovery Green

Flea by Night is a great option if you’re looking for a free-entry outdoor market to explore with your friends. On Dec. 2, 9 and 16 from 6 to 10 p.m., you can visit Discovery Green for food trucks, live music and vendors that include small businesses selling recycled/repurposed and handmade goods. You’ll likely come across plenty of new bags and accessories to add to your closet, as well as charming decor for the barren walls of your suite or off-campus home.

Address: 1500 McKinney St, Houston, TX 77010 

“The Nutcracker” at Jones Hall for the Performing Arts

On Dec. 12, the Houston Symphony is offering the perfect musical getaway with performances of selections from Tchaikovsky’s classical ballet “The Nutcracker.” If this sounds boring to you, just wait — these will be followed by the Jazz Houston Orchestra performing legendary pianist and jazz composer Duke Ellington’s rendition of “The Nutcracker,” which is sure to have you snapping your fingers and bouncing in your seat. The lowest-priced tickets are currently $38 apiece but are likely to sell out, so make sure to buy them quickly.

Address: 615 Louisiana St #102, Houston, TX 77002

Spurs vs. Rockets Game at Toyota Center

Although not explicitly holiday-themed, the Houston Rockets’ performance this season is certainly something to celebrate. After an underwhelming season of tanking last year, the Rockets are now climbing the ranks of the NBA’s Western Conference and have even defeated the defending champions, the Denver Nuggets. The Spurs-Rockets game on Dec. 11 will be a treat for all kinds of viewers — whether you’re a fan of Texas sports rivalries, want to root for the Rockets’ young stars Alperen Şengün and Jalen Green or are itching to see the Spurs’ rookie sensation Victor Wembanyama in person. If you’re willing to sit in the rafters, tickets at Toyota Center are currently going for under $30

Address: 1510 Polk St, Houston, TX 77002