President’s house construction nears completion

courtesy-jeff-fitlow-deroches-house-col
Courtesy Jeff Fitlow

By Kelly Guo     10/3/23 11:49pm

The Wiess President’s House, which serves as both a private residence for the university president and a space for university-hosted events, is nearing completion of its latest construction phase.

According to Darrel Bunch, the director of grounds for the Facilities and Capital Planning department, the most recent construction project began in the summer of 2022 and is now being finalized.

“The Wiess House is a critical, treasured building and gathering space for the Rice community and the university’s guests,” Bunch wrote in an email to Thresher. “The purpose of the construction was to bring the historic residence, which was built in 1946, up to today’s standards for residential dwellings, including handicap accessibility, sustainability and related efficiencies.” 

According to Bunch, the construction project will not change the existing structure of the house.

“We built a new storage house and decking and repaired the perimeter wall and interior spaces,” Bunch wrote.

Additionally, Bunch said that alongside functional repairs, the new construction project aims to enhance the aesthetics of the house with artworks created by local artists and landscaping.

“Overall, things will look virtually the same and look new and improved, retaining the historic charm and beauty of the Wiess House,” Bunch wrote.

Bunch declined to comment on the cost of the renovation.

The Wiess House was originally built by Bellows Construction Corporation in the 1940s. According to Bellows, the building has undergone several remodeling and renovation projects since its construction. In 2004, Bellows collaborated with architect William Neuhaus to add a new family wing and redesign the interior.

In the past, the Wiess President’s House has hosted events ranging from matriculating class receptions to senior nights. Just recently, the house hosted a dinner for Orientation Week coordinators.

Xinying Bi, a freshman from Lovett College, said she is looking forward to the events that will be hosted.

“I’ve never been to the house, but I’ve walked past it a few times,” Xinying Bi said. “I am excited to see the events that will be hosted in the house.”

President Reggie DesRoches wrote in a statement that Rice is lucky to own the Wiess President’s House.

“I feel privileged to call it home during my time as president,” DesRoches wrote, “and to be able to use it as a place to host members of our Rice and Houston communities.”