Halloween costume round-up

By Parker Blumentritt     10/24/23 11:34pm

With Halloween coming up, there are few things more important this week than figuring out what to wear. Whether you’re looking to dress up with company or just going solo this year, the Thresher is here with some costume recommendations for you to don this Halloweekend. 

Groups and Couples

If you and your friends, or your significant other, want to coordinate costumes this year, look no further.

A classic option that can be achieved by searching your own closet or thrifting is the Scooby Doo crew. Each group member can choose one of the five characters to create a recognizable yet simple costume, and you can even utilize this idea as a solo or couples costume as well.

Another fun group costume is Mario Party, as there are tons of recognizable characters to choose from. Wear red or green to go as Mario or Luigi, find a pink dress to be Princess Peach, dress in red and white for Toad or don purple if Waluigi is more your style. 

If you want a couples costume that is recognizable but less common, be Wesley and Buttercup from “The Princess Bride.” Wear all black for Wesley and a flowy red dress to emulate Buttercup.  

Another option for either a couple or a group is the iconic cast of characters from Heathers. Whether you and your partner want to go as Veronica and JD or you and your friends want to dress up as the Heathers themselves, this costume is easy to make a reality. 

Finally, if you enjoy more abstract costumes, try dressing up as your favorite food items or condiments. Ketchup and mustard make a very cute pair in red and yellow, but there are tons more options to get creative with if you’d like to go this route. 

Going Solo

If you want to strike out on your own this year, we’ve also got your back with some individual costume ideas. 

Bored with being a cowboy every year but want an excuse to wear your cowboy hat? Go for the trendy space cowboy instead by adding glitter or metallics to your western look. 

Have a blazer or anything tweed? Turn the tables (or desks) and be a professor for Halloween. While it may seem less spooky at first glance, we’ve all had a professor that’s given us quite the scare. 

If you are looking for a costume on the sweeter side of Halloween, try combining orange, yellow and white to go as the quintessential Halloween treat — candy corn. 

Want to reuse your general chemistry lab coat? Let yourself become truly unhinged and go as a mad scientist. 

Seniors showcase their artistic journey in ‘Opia’

“Opia,” the title of this year’s visual and dramatic arts senior showcase, is defined by the artists as “the intense vulnerability of looking someone in the eye, and the beautiful discomfort of seeing yourself reflected in their gaze.” These concepts of introspection and interpersonal connection resonate powerfully across the diverse bodies of work produced by a class of 17 artists, who will open up their showcase to the Rice community on Thursday April 18.