Check out Houston’s Halloween haunts

halloweeninhouston-vivianlang
Vivian Lang / Thresher

By Aleena Ahmad     10/17/23 11:51pm

Houston weather has just started to cool off, signaling the start of autumn. Although midterms may be getting you down, the Halloween season is now in full swing. From costume contests to haunted houses to fun performances, put down the books and check out these can’t-miss events in Houston made for spooky season enthusiasts.

Sorry Papi Halloween Tour

If you’re looking for a girl’s night out, look no further than the Sorry Papi Halloween Tour. This “All Girl Party” gives you the perfect opportunity to take your group Halloween costume out for a test run in a supportive environment made by women for women. Enjoy the DJs and live performances, specialty cocktails, “Glam Area” and mystery merch at this reggaeton party Oct. 21 at the Bayou Music Center.

Tim Burton Burlesque

Fans of Burton’s “The Nightmare Before Christmas” and his other spooky works won’t want to miss this. The Tim Burton Cabaret is where Burton’s iconic stories meet the unique form of burlesque dance. Hosted by Nikki Knockout and the Aphrodisi-Acts at Rise Rooftop, experience this unique show with sultry versions of all your favorite Burton characters Oct. 19 from 8 p.m. to midnight.

Creepy Hollow Haunted House

Voted one of the top 13 haunted houses in the U.S., the Creepy Hollow Haunted House is a must-see event for thrill seekers and spooky fanatics alike. Though it’s about twenty miles from Rice, Texas’ scariest haunted house may be worth the drive. Fit with food, live shows, games, shops and three separate haunted attractions, Creepy Hollow is more than just a haunted house. 

Houston Scream Fest

If you’re searching for thrills a little closer to home, look no further than the Houston Scream Fest. With seven different haunted houses, zombie paintball, live music and games, the Scream Fest has something for everyone. They also have horror film screenings, a club with a live DJ and free drinks as you hop from one haunted house to the next.

Wonder Bar

Continually switching themes throughout the year, Houston’s Wonder Bar has transformed into a “Halloween Disco” for the month. The numerous photo ops, including some “Stranger Things” themed props and a coffin you can sit in, will provide ample opportunities for your Halloween Instagram post. Sip from a skull-shaped mason jar throughout the night and you’re all set for Halloween.

Karbach Brewing Co. Halloween Market

On Oct. 23, Karbach Brewing Co. is hosting a Halloween Market. Check out the food trucks, vendors, live music and maybe even get a pet portrait or watch the dog costume contest. Shop for streetwear, jewelry, antiques, coffee, churros and much more. You can also stay for a watch party of the Houston Astros game later that evening.

Scream on the Green Costume Contest

Watch or participate in the costume contest at the Discovery Green Oct. 27. Split into six groups (including a category for the best-dressed dogs), you can admire all the costumes ranging from cute to downright horrifying. The winners will receive ice skating tickets, gift cards, party room reservations and more. The classic Halloween film “Hocus Pocus” will also be screened that evening.

Front Porch Pub Halloween Bar Crawl

If you’re 21+, Front Porch Pub is hosting a bar crawl Oct. 27 and 28 that will span at least six locations and bring together over 1,200 people. Complete with contests, giveaways, special deals, photographers and an afterparty, those interested in trying new drinks and getting a good discount should consider attending.