Thursday, February 29, 2024 — Houston, TX

09-13-2023: WEEKLY SCENES AND SCREENS

vivianlang-weeklyscenesscreens
Vivian Lang / Thresher

By Hadley Medlock     9/12/23 11:18pm

Cyanotype Workshop

At the student opening for the new Moody Center for the Arts exhibit, Rice Climate Alliance will host a cyanotype workshop Sept. 16 from 6 to 7:15 p.m.

CAMH College Night

The Contemporary Arts Museum Houston invites college students for a free evening arts activities and snacks Sept. 21 from 6 to 8 p.m. Make sure to bring your Rice ID for verification.

Humanities Now

Robert J. Howell, professor and chair of philosophy, will give a talk titled “Ethics in the Age of Artificial Intelligence” Sept. 18 at noon. The talk will take place in Humanities Building 117.

Artists-in-Dialogue

The Moody is hosting a conversation between Jacqueline Couti, chair of the Department of Modern and Classical Literatures and Cultures, and artist Laure Prouvost Sept. 16, 2 to 3 p.m.

Chaus launches new art gallery

Coffeehouse unveiled new art lining the walls of their cafe space on Feb. 18, featuring student artists and photographers. The project is helmed by keepers of coffee Caroline Leung and Kate Hilton, who lead a committee called “Espresso Yourself” that aims to highlight student creativity and art.

With ‘Practices of Attention,’ Rice students explore capitalist ruins

Anyone who has walked through Sewall Hall in the past couple months has inevitably seen the words “ARTS 477: Practices of Attention in Capitalist Ruins” written in big, bold lettering on flyers displayed throughout the building. The class is part of a larger project associated with the Moody Project Wall piece “Practices of Attention” envisioned by Angela Chen, a lecturer of art in Rice’s Department of Art.

Review: ‘The Taste of Things’ explores the culinary world

In recent years, food has become increasingly commodified and diminished, at least in on-screen depictions. The allure of perfectly curated dishes on TikTok and other social media apps has desensitized us to the simple pleasures of good food — when everything looks picture perfect, nothing feels particularly special.