WEEKLY SCENES AND SCREENS

By Hadley Medlock     8/22/23 11:22pm

Open Mic Night

This Friday Aug. 25 from 6 to 9 p.m., the Rice Music Collective is hosting an open mic night in Lyle’s, the Lovett basement. 

Student Media & Arts Fair

Head to the Moody Center for the Arts Aug. 24 from 2 to 4 p.m. chat with Rice’s media and arts organizations, check out the current exhibit, JooYoung Choi’s “Love and Wondervision,” before it closes and enjoy free food, refreshments and a ktru DJ set. 

Peter and Wendy: Family Dance Theatre

The Miller Outdoor Theatre is hosting a free dance performance that’s a fresh take on the classic tale of Peter Pan and Wendy. Tickets are free and available Aug. 24 starting at 10 a.m., and the event takes place Aug. 25 at 8 p.m. 

Rooftop Cinema Club Y2K Tuesdays

Houston’s Rooftop Cinema Club is hosting a series of nostalgic movie screenings every Tuesday from the early 2000s era. Their next showing is the movie “Barbershop” Aug. 29 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets start at $19.75. 

Museum fellows talk art, academia and experiential learning

On Monday mornings at 8 a.m., Ella Langridge walks upstairs to her desk at the Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens and gets to work, sifting through photocopies of Americana and decorative arts with pasts unknown. Langridge’s job, as this year’s Jameson Fellow for American Painting & Decorative Arts, is to research these artifacts, uncover their histories and communicate their uniquely American stories to the collection’s thousands of annual visitors. 

Review: ‘Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire’ is Peak Cinema

There is no easy way to quantify a film, much to the chagrin of lazy film critics and lazier audiences. We may try to force a movie to fit into a box labeled ⅗ or ⅘ , but occasionally, there appears a work of art that refuses such indignity. A breathtaking fabrication that rejects the premise of a “rating,” whatever that monstrous practice might entail. These magna opera simply are. Along this line of thought, it makes sense to characterize this film for what it is, rather than lambast it for what it is not. This movie is about giant monkeys and lizards fighting. 

Review: “Bryson Tiller re-envisions genre on self-titled album”

Seasoned R&B singer Bryson Tiller has returned with his fourth studio album, a self-titled record that infuses cyberpunk aesthetics into both its visuals and its sound. On the eponymous album, Tiller, best known for hits like “Don’t” and “Exchange,” takes on the challenge of deconstructing his own artistic journey. “Bryson Tiller” is a multi-genre departure from Tiller’s comfort zone. It features pop, dancehall, neo-soul and drill elements next to his signature combination of hip hop and R&B.