A&E’s guide to Houston

a-e-guillianpaguila-houstonguide-copy
Guillian Paguila / Thresher

By Arman Saxena     8/22/23 11:18pm

Whether you’re new to Houston or have been here for years, you most likely haven’t explored all that the Houston arts and entertainment scene has to offer. From lively performance venues to some of the tastiest food you’ve ever encountered, the Bayou City has a swathe of fun locales to check out and enjoy.

Broadway at the Hobby Center

Bringing the best of Broadway to H-Town, Broadway at the Hobby Center stages some of today’s most popular plays. Shows like “Tina: The Tina Turner Musical,” “Les Miserables” and “Beetlejuice” are some of the highlights of the venue’s upcoming slate. The 2023 to 2024 season begins in November with “MJ the Musical,” a multi-Tony award-winning show. The Hobby Center is only a 10 to 15 minute drive from campus, making it a perfect place for some evening entertainment. 

Additional theatre-related venues to check out include the Houston Grand Opera and the Miller Outdoor Theater.

Museum of Fine Arts Houston

A 20-minute walk from campus and free to Rice students, the Museum of Fine Arts Houston is an accessible way to experience a myriad of unique art from artists from all over the world. There’s currently a collection of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist works from legendary artists like Van Gogh, Manet, Gauguin, Cezanne and Degas on display through Sept. 17. You can also visit Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama’s immersive exhibit called “Aftermath of Obliteration of Eternity” that invites you to step into a dark room of glittering lights. The museum highlights works from artists such as Georgia O’Keefe, Pablo Picasso and James Turrell, the designer of Rice’s very own Skyspace.

Additional museums to check out include the Houston Museum of Natural Science, the Space Center Houston and the Menil Collection.

Brazos Bookstore 

Known for their books spotlighting local Houston authors, this indie bookstore might not boast the sheer numbers of your local Books-a-Million, but what it lacks in quantity it makes up for in quality. Brazos Bookstore features a diverse array of literature that’s carefully curated — it’s a challenge to find a book here that doesn’t pique the bibliophile’s interest. An eight minute drive from campus, this spot is perfect for an afternoon of perusing some entertaining, thoughtful and all-around wonderful books. 

Additional bookstores to check out include Murder by the Book, Kaboom Books and Kindred Stories.

House of Blues Houston 

What do Owl City, RAYE, Keke Palmer and Paris, Texas all have in common? They’re  playing at the House of Blues in the next two months. This concert venue chain, which also has locations in cities like Chicago, Vegas and New Orleans, is famous for their slate of some of the most popular indie/alternative artists active today. But live music isn’t all they have to offer, House of Blues is known for signature meals, such as the HOB Smash Burger, their BBQ Nachos or their baby back ribs. 

Other music venues to check out: White Oak Music Hall (King Krule, TV Girl, Mt.Joy, George Clanton), 713 Music Hall (Lil Uzi Vert, Kim Petras, Cigarettes After Sex, Wizkid), NRG Stadium (Beyonce, Karol G), Toyota Center (Playboi Carti, 50 Cent, Sam Smith, Jonas Brothers, SZA, Joji, Suicideboys, Depeche Mode), The Warehouse Live (JPEGMAFIA and Danny Brown, Chris Travis, Dom Corleo, Iann Dior, Ty Dolla Sign, All Time Low)

Restaurants

Houston is a foodie’s paradise, and there are really just too many mouth-watering, palate-expanding destinations to choose just one to spotlight. No matter what you’re craving, there’s something tasty close by. From bakeries like Koffeteria and hot dog spots like Good Dog Houston to Indian restaurants like Pondicheri and Aga’s, Houston boasts a wide range of cuisines, vibes and styles. Some of the best places less than two miles from campus include Hamsa, Lucille’s, MF Sushi, Davis St. at Hermann Park and Kata Robata.