Tuesday, June 06, 2023 — Houston, TX

Spice up fall semester with these courses

fall-courses-courtesy-ndidi-nwosu
Nidid Nwosu / Thresher

By Arman Saxena     4/4/23 10:21pm

Now that it’s officially registration season, students across campus are looking for classes to add some spice into their fall semester course load, and there’s no better way to do that than with some Rice arts classes. From cooking to creative writing, film to art history, here are a plethora of different classes that students can take next semester.

Beginning Sculpture 

ARTS 165

One of the most in-demand courses offered by the VADA department next semester, Beginning Sculpture walks students through a variety of sculpture techniques like mold making and woodworking while utilizing a multitude of materials including plaster, clay, cardboard, fabric, wood and found objects.

Improvisation for Stage and Screen 

FILM 308 / THEA 308

Alison Corriel teaches this class that deconstructs the art of improvisation. Students will learn a variety of improv techniques from understanding and playing off character dynamics to beat structuring.

German Film

GERM 335

One of the best-rated film history classes offered next semester, Martin Blumenthal-Barby’s class on German film, taught in English, tracks how German cinema has intertwined with, represented and reacted to the sociopolitical and cultural landscape of Germany throughout the twentieth century.

Epiphanies

HART 328 / RELI 375

Marcia G. Brennan’s “Epiphanies: Seeing in a New Light and Recognizing the Radiance” sits at the confluence of philosophy, art, literature, religion and film, delving into multiple mediums to discuss the idea of revelations.

Radical Black Thought in Art

HART 366

This class analyzes art from radical Black contemporary thinkers and spans an interesting mix of art, philosophy, history and politics. Students will also have the opportunity to attend field trips to meet Houston-based artists.

Introduction to DJing

COLL 183

Taught by fellow students, these one-credit-hour courses offer students a chance to learn more about niche topics. This course teaches students about the techniques needed to be a DJ.

Review: ‘Suzume’ is a thrilling, endearing, and at times dark ode to Japan

Makoto Shinkai clearly has a specialty — the “Your Name” and “Weathering With You” director is often said to make the same movie over and over again. It’s true that the three most recent entries in his filmography have all been fantastical, coming-of-age melodramas centered around some sort of ecological disaster, but  there’s nothing wrong with that. Audiences know what they’re getting with a Shinkai film: gorgeously-rendered anime vistas, strong female leads and an emotionally-charged storyline guaranteed to make viewers feel something. While it doesn’t reach the poignancy of “Your Name,” Shinkai’s newest film “Suzume” is one of the highlights in his œuvre.

Review: IVE embraces confidence on 'I’ve IVE’

After an incredibly successful debut year in 2022, IVE released their debut album “I’ve IVE” to the excitement of fans around the world. Last year, IVE put out two single albums, which are shorter, two to three track projects within K-pop. The sampling of Gloria Gaynor’s classic track “I Will Survive” in “After LIKE” and the moodier sound of “LOVE DIVE” show two distinct sides of the group that are expanded upon in their debut full-length release.

Review: Nicolas Cage as Dracula is a national treasure

“Renfield” is a 2023 comedy-horror film centering Nicolas Cage as Dracula and Nicolas Hoult as Renfield, Dracula’s loyal assistant. My comments on this movie should be prefaced by an acknowledgment of my bias; I absolutely adore Nicolas Cage as an actor. I could watch Mr. Cage do nothing but down an entire Subway Italian without him uttering a word and I would be absolutely enthralled, clinging to the edge of my seat. The subtle facial expressions, the charming yet hungry eyes, and the absolute Adonis of a body that Nicolas Cage possesses could make any film connoisseur faint at just a glimpse. Even taking into consideration my love for Cage’s acting in both his amazing and amazingly terrible works, “Renfield” is another absolute banger of a movie on nearly every level.