Saturday, July 27, 2024 — Houston, TX

Celebrate women in Houston

vivian_lang_womens_museum
Vivian Lang / Thresher

By Sloane Domingo     3/7/23 11:06pm

This year’s Women’s History month is dedicated to the theme of “Celebrating Women who tell our Stories,” and the city of Houston has plenty of opportunities to commemorate the occasion. Here are some fun ways to spend the month of March commemorating past, present and future history-making women.

Shop at HTX Boss Babes x Ion

Support local women-owned businesses at the “HTX Boss Babes x Ion” on March 11. Here, browse products from participating vendors or listen to the line-up of female DJs. This is an opportunity to support small businesses and if you haven’t had the opportunity to visit the Ion, the new midtown-located creative collaboration hub, this is a perfect time to see the establishment in action

Browse feminine artwork

For any art lovers,  local exhibition space Elevate Creative Studios is hosting the limited-time gallery “The Art of a Woman,” which spotlights work that was made or inspired by women. Gather for a night of fashionable attire, live music and cocktails. Their opening reception takes place on March 26 and closes on March 31.

Walk around Houston

Pull on your walking shoes for the Heritage Society’s Women’s History Tours that take you through historic homes and landmarks to learn more about some of Houston’s most influential women. With stops such as the oldest surviving building constructed in Houston, participants have the opportunity to explore the complex history of female influences on the city’s development.

Discover filmmakers

The Houston Latino Film Festival features several independent and upcoming Latine filmmakers and stories centered around Latina characters and narratives. Enjoy packed schedules of  feature-length and short films at the Midtown Arts and Theater Center from March 15 to 19.

Slam some poetry at an open mic

Write About Now Poetry will be throwing their “Ladies Night Poetry Open Mic Night” at the AvantGarden, with tickets starting at $10. Close out Women’s History Month with a night of drinks while listening to local poets and authors or sign up to take the stage yourself on March 29.