Friday, February 23, 2024 — Houston, TX

Alison Qiu runs for IVP without opposition

allison

By Maria Morkas     2/15/23 1:00am

Alison Qiu, a sophomore from Hanszen College, is running uncontested for the Student Association internal vice-president position.  Previously the  SA new student representative for Hanszen her freshman year, Qiu now serves as the Hanszen senator.

Qiu said that she was motivated to run for IVP because of her previous experience in the SA and a desire to make changes in student lives. 

“I want to get more involved with working with different standing committees to accomplish more things in areas like academic well being, because from just talking to friends and other people, there are some academic policies that people were complaining about that they hope to change,” Qiu said. “In general, I'm really passionate about mental health; I want to do more on that.”

Qiu said she hopes to  increase communication with administration about SA committee projects. 

“I hope that we are able to establish more connections between the [SA] and the administration,” Qui said. “We could do more in terms of having students’ voices heard in whatever project they're working on. [I hope] we'll be able to reach out to the faculty senate or administration more to accomplish those goals, instead of just writing resolutions or working on stuff on our own.” 

Qiu said she also wants to use her term to gather student feedback about different SA initiatives. 

“I just want to check in with [different standing committees] in general and then make sure that each organization has a goal that they would try to accomplish, to make sure we're all on track,” Qiu said. “[Similarly], I was hoping to get standing committees, and the SA in general, to implement more stuff to gather student feedback, either through surveys or forms, so we can actually work on projects that students at Rice actually care about, and so the SA is representing the student voice.”

Qui said she looks forward to connecting with people who are similarly passionate about making a difference through the SA and implementing concrete changes.

SA presidential debate centers around budget

Student Association presidential candidates Jae Kim and Trevor Tobey discussed their vision for the presidency and the SA at the Thresher’s SA debate on Monday, Feb. 19. Candidates for secretary and treasurer, the other contested elections, also took the stage during the night.

Condoleezza Rice visits Rice University

Condoleezza Rice, a former United States secretary of state and national security advisor under President George W. Bush, came to Rice to speak with David Satterfield, the director of the Baker Institute, as a part of the Shell Distinguished Lecture Series Feb. 15. 

Community members protest Condoleezza Rice event at Baker Institute

Students and community members gathered in the Central Quad Feb. 15 to protest Condoleezza Rice, former secretary of state and national security advisor to George W. Bush, coming to campus, demanding that the university “divest from death.” A Houston Police Department officer at the protest estimated nearly 100 protesters were in attendance throughout.