Alison Qiu runs for IVP without opposition

allison

By Maria Morkas     2/15/23 1:00am

Alison Qiu, a sophomore from Hanszen College, is running uncontested for the Student Association internal vice-president position.  Previously the  SA new student representative for Hanszen her freshman year, Qiu now serves as the Hanszen senator.

Qiu said that she was motivated to run for IVP because of her previous experience in the SA and a desire to make changes in student lives. 

“I want to get more involved with working with different standing committees to accomplish more things in areas like academic well being, because from just talking to friends and other people, there are some academic policies that people were complaining about that they hope to change,” Qiu said. “In general, I'm really passionate about mental health; I want to do more on that.”

Qiu said she hopes to  increase communication with administration about SA committee projects. 

“I hope that we are able to establish more connections between the [SA] and the administration,” Qui said. “We could do more in terms of having students’ voices heard in whatever project they're working on. [I hope] we'll be able to reach out to the faculty senate or administration more to accomplish those goals, instead of just writing resolutions or working on stuff on our own.” 

Qiu said she also wants to use her term to gather student feedback about different SA initiatives. 

“I just want to check in with [different standing committees] in general and then make sure that each organization has a goal that they would try to accomplish, to make sure we're all on track,” Qiu said. “[Similarly], I was hoping to get standing committees, and the SA in general, to implement more stuff to gather student feedback, either through surveys or forms, so we can actually work on projects that students at Rice actually care about, and so the SA is representing the student voice.”

Qui said she looks forward to connecting with people who are similarly passionate about making a difference through the SA and implementing concrete changes.