Friday, January 27, 2023 — Houston, TX

Review: ‘That ‘90s Show’ is nostalgic but unoriginal

90s-show-courtesy-netflix
Photo courtesy Netflix

By Saswat Pati     1/24/23 10:21pm

Review: ★★½

“That ‘90s Show” is the latest nostalgia-filled sequel to come out of Hollywood, and while it does not excel in the same way its predecessor “That ‘70s Show” did, it is still a decent sit-com that is worth a watch even if it feels dated at times.

Per its title, “That 90’s Show” is set in 1995 and centers around Leia (Callie Haverda), the daughter of Eric (Topher Grace) and Donna (Laura Prepon) of the original cast who have come back to Wisconsin to visit their parents. Throughout the season, the shenanigans of Leia and her new cast of friends are explored amid a strong ‘90s nostalgia kick. While the show focuses on the new cast dynamic (especially in later episodes), there are plenty of cameos for fans of the original show to notice.

I came into the season very excited to see how this sequel series would handle the irreverent comedic style of the original, and while it is not stale, “That ‘90s Show” certainly does not feel as inspired. In particular, the first few episodes of this show are a slog, and the pilot episode feels very awkward. Some of this can definitely be attributed to the introduction of the new cast while balancing the characters from the old show, but there is still a lack of cohesion and because of this, the show’s humor can feel very forced at times.

The later episodes however become much more enjoyable once the focus is primarily on the new group of teens. Standouts include Leia, Jay (Mace Coronel), her love interest and Gwen (Ashley Aufderheide), her next door neighbor, but all the new actors do well in their roles. The show leans heavily on tropes from the first show, including the smoking scenes in the basement of the original. These are done well and the comedy is clever, but the show does not set out to do anything new, and  the script ultimately fails to meet the standards of the original.

“That ‘90s Show” is by no means bad — it is just not original. Though its new ensemble cast is engaging at times, many of the new characters do not exactly gel with their ‘70s counterparts, leading to awkward and incoherent situations. “That ‘90s Show” is good for putting on in the background while doing homework, but I would not go out of my way to watch it.

Black Art at Rice: Akaya Chambers designs her future in theatre

When Akaya Chambers was twelve years old, she made her own Halloween costume — a steampunk TARDIS dress. It was the first time she had ever sewn, but she hasn’t put down her needle and thread since. In the years following, she discovered a passion for costume design and theatre on and off of the stage as a costume designer and actor, and on the page as a playwright. 

Review: ‘Five Easy Hot Dogs’ is a mellow road trip of soothing instrumentals

It’s impossible to understate Mac DeMarco’s influence in the world of indie music. Since his breakout 2012 album ‘2,’ DeMarco’s twangy jangle pop songs have inspired new musicians and subgenres, notably bedroom pop. Tracks like “Chamber of Reflection” helped define alternative music in the mid-2010s, and recently, cuts like “Heart to Heart” have been wildly popular on TikTok. At the core of these successes were not only strong instrumentation but a slacker attitude and a sense of understated romance within DeMarco’s lyrics. However, for “Five Easy Hot Dogs,” DeMarco has ditched this core component in favor of focusing on instrumentals. Regardless of this switch-up, DeMarco has constructed a solid project full of unique albeit forgettable songs that inspire a sense of tranquility unmatched by his other work.

Food spots to fill your late night cravings

Have you or someone you love suffered from the recent closing of YoYo’s and Oh My Gogi? If so, you might be looking for new food spots to scratch those late-night cravings that the serveries simply can’t fill. Read on for the Thresher’s list of a few food spots close to campus that can fill the holes in our stomachs (and our hearts).