Friday, January 27, 2023 — Houston, TX

Bring Sunday brunch back to campus

At the very first Editorial Board meeting of this school year, the seniors on our board got on our high horses to inform the Rice community of the way things used to be done vis-a-vis selling tickets to public parties. We’ve held our tongues since then, as we can appreciate that circumstances change and growth is good. But the time has come for us to speak again, this time in support of resurrecting the greatest of all pre-COVID traditions: Sunday brunch.

Picture this: you wake up on Sunday morning with a slight headache (who knows why). You shuffle out of your room towards the servery, and what do you find? An omelet bar, homemade tortillas and the smell of little caramelized waffles wafting toward you. This used to be a weekly occurrence, and oh boy, was it magical. Recapping the previous night’s events over smoothies, funfetti pancakes and chilaquiles was the pinnacle of every week.

To be clear, we are in no way critiquing the removal of this marvelous experience. COVID-19 precautions called for spreading out mealtime attendance in serveries to the fullest extent possible, and brunch was combining the attendance of two meals into one. But for the life of us, we cannot think of a good reason why Sunday brunch cannot or should not now return to our serveries.

So to David McDonald, or whomever it is at Housing & Dining that decides the meal schedule, we humbly request on behalf of the student body that Sunday brunch be returned expeditiously. For one thing, it will temporarily subdue students’ anger at their lack of HBO Max access. For another, it’s just the right thing to do. If nothing else, do it for the Texas-shaped waffles.

Editor’s Note: Thresher editorials are collectively written by the members of the Thresher’s editorial board. Current members include Ben Baker-Katz, Morgan Gage, Bonnie Zhao, Hajera Naveed, Nayeli Shad, Riya Misra, Michelle Gachelin, Daniel Schrager, Prayag Gordy and Brandon Chen. 

Rice should allow more than 8% of graduate students to eat at campus serveries

Everyday, many graduate students are struggling with meals, because Rice offers very limited on-campus servery dining opportunities for them. Many students have expressed concern over this policy including Yajie Liu, a bioengineering Ph.D. student. Her day is filled with coursework, research and mentoring undergraduates in the lab. Though Yajie is on campus from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. every day, she enjoys her busy life. This semester, she applied for the graduate meal plan but failed to get selected. She is very disappointed and has to spend extra time and effort preparing affordable meals herself. The on-campus graduate meal plan is very important to student life, Ph.D. students in particular. Rice should expand the on-campus meal plans to cater to the demand of increasing graduate students.  

The RMC needs to reread their mission statement

We reported at the end of last week that popular late-night food spots YoYo’s Hot Dog and Oh My Gogi are being forced out of Rice Village by the end of the month. Justifiably, Rice students and the local community were outraged — a petition to the Rice Management Company titled “Save Yoyos and Oh My Gogi” has over 4,500 signatures as of publication.

Too many people are comfortable with their fatphobia

On Dec. 21, the following message was posted on Fizz:  “Fat people are disgusting and I’m tired of people like you sugar coating it saying it’s ok. If you don’t want to be disgusting eat healthier and go to the gym. Yes of course some people will have it harder than others but that’s life, that doesn’t mean you get to hide under your ‘genetics’ and pretend you don’t look disgusting when you’re clearly obese and unhealthy.”