Friday, December 09, 2022 — Houston, TX

Off-campus students should sublet their rooms to those who need winter break housing

For the first time since 2019, Rice is not allowing undergraduate students to remain in their on-campus housing during winter break. While this is a disappointing development, we understand why this decision needed to be made. Like students, staff need a break after a long semester. Further, keeping students on campus by providing housing over break was originally implemented to address pandemic travel restrictions, which are mostly gone. However, the need for winter housing is not gone. This decision still leaves some international students — or any other on-campus student looking to remain in Houston — scrambling for housing.

Recently, Lovett College came up with a solution to this problem that still gives staff the break they deserve. Their college coordinator and off-campus representatives have reached out to other off-campus students about subletting to students searching for housing while they’re gone during break. This not only solves the initial problem, but also gives off-campus students a chance to recover some of the rent that would otherwise be wasted. It’s a win for everyone involved.

We want to encourage all residential colleges, and all off-campus students, to follow Lovett’s lead. For one thing, isn’t this the core purpose of the residential college system, to provide community support in sustainable ways that benefit us all? And if being a good person isn’t reason enough to let a student in need crash in your off-campus room for a few weeks, consider this: It will be the easiest bag you’ve ever made. 

This also stands as a reminder to all of us that there are many resources we take for granted, in this case an empty room over break, that can help support our fellow students. 

We honestly aren’t sure we’ve ever come across a better or easier solution to a problem. Genuinely, the editorial board is struggling to write more than 300 words, because it is so obviously a good idea. So, shoutout to Lovett for coming up with this idea, and we hope to see it implemented campus-wide.

Editor’s Note: Thresher editorials are collectively written by the members of the Thresher’s editorial board. Current members include Ben Baker-Katz, Morgan Gage, Bonnie Zhao, Hajera Naveed, Nayeli Shad, Riya Misra, Michelle Gachelin, Daniel Schrager, Prayag Gordy and Brandon Chen. News editor Hajera Naveed recused herself from this editorial due to her reporting on the corresponding story in our news section.

Is using Fizz worth sacrificing our Culture of Care?

The social media app Fizz made its way to our campus earlier this semester, offering an anonymous discussion platform for exchanging messages and memes amongst Rice students. In recent weeks, antisemitic and racist posts were made by members of our community on this app. It is entirely hateful and dangerously intolerant. 

International issues deserve our attention, too

Anyone who walked through the academic quad on Monday encountered the statue of William Marsh Rice visibly covered by sheets of A4 paper that read “习近平下台,” which roughly translates to “Resign Xi Jinping.” Other signs read “No emperor in a republic” and “Not my president.” These signs are part of larger protests happening in mainland China — that are being echoed by Chinese people across the world — in response to nearly three years of aggressive COVID lockdowns across the country. 

Where we must agree: the politics of humanness

The words “free speech” will likely elicit groans from Thresher readers. Over the last three years, there have been three articles in the Opinion section bemoaning the need for a “classically liberal” political discourse at Rice. Unfortunately, between their self-righteousness and needless wordiness, they read more like whiny lectures than conversation starters. However, despite their condescension, their existence does suggest something unsettling about not just our campus politics, but politics at large. As the electorates of democracies around the world have become more sharply divided, the way we speak to each other, not just across the aisle but to our similarly minded partisans, has become more accusatory, exclusionary and violent. Put simply: we do not want to talk to each other, and understandably so. It is exhausting, and, more than that, we just don’t seem to know how to.