Friday, December 09, 2022 — Houston, TX

Houston rap legend Paul Wall set to compete with Gary Clark Jr. in musical showdown

vbm03020-copy

Courtesy Paul Wall

By Ben Baker-Katz     11/3/22 2:34pm

Though many Rice students might not know the name Paul Wall, their favorite Houston artists certainly do. The self-proclaimed “Peoples Champ,” Wall and his famous grill have been influential in the Houston music community since the late 1990s. Wall, whose love for Houston is renowned, said that being able to represent the Houston music community and help aspiring Houston artists has been a lifelong dream.

“The hip-hop industry [in] Texas, and Houston to be specific, is very collaborative,” Wall said. “I always try to help mentor the younger artists [and] newer artists … I love sharing game, sharing what worked for me.”

As his music career has slowed down in recent years, Wall said he’s enjoyed spending more time with his family. 

“My family time is really the most important to me, that's where I spend most of my time,” Wall said. “It's something I didn't get to experience as a child, so experiencing it now as an adult, it's like I get to relive my childhood by loving my children and just being there for them.”

Wall returns to the stage on Thursday, Nov. 10, at 713 Music Hall for RedBull SoundClash Houston event, where he will face off against Gary Clark Jr., a Grammy-winning blues and rock guitarist from Austin. The event is not a typical concert — instead, it’s structured like a competition, with each artist performing on opposing stages.

According to Wall, the event gives him an opportunity to collaborate with Clark — something he’s always wanted to do. 

“I’m a huge fan of Gary Clark Jr.,” Wall said. “I’ve seen him rock out live so many times, but I’ve never performed with him live … that’s what I like about the SoundClash. It’s a little bit of competition, but it’s more collaborative and celebratory than anything.”

The event will feature five rounds, each with its own unique theme. As for who decides the winner, a decibel reader will determine which performer the crowd enjoyed more based on the volume of their cheers. 

“The competition is there, but it’s really just for us to be our best selves, because there’s no way I could compete with Gary Clark Jr.,” Wall said. “The only thing I’m winning, in that contest, is who’s got the better grill.”

Review: MAX elevates House of Blues energy through the roof

Pop powerhouse MAX’s performance at Houston’s House of Blues on Nov. 10 was nothing short of electric. Although I was a relative newcomer to MAX’s music, I already knew and liked his songs “Still New York” and “Love Me Less (feat. Quinn XCII),” the latter of which was included on the setlist.  

Review: ‘The Nutcracker’ loses its footing this season

Upon entering the Wortham Center for the annual holiday show, there is an unmistakable anticipatory energy in the air, accompanying their signature Christmas tree and bubbly mingling between well-dressed patrons. “The Nutcracker” is undeniably a holiday favorite for audience members, but their excitement for the show may be misguided. Despite the show’s remarkable popularity, the Houston Ballet’s production falls short of the original’s charm.

Review: ‘Glass Onion’ sharpens and heightens the original’s subversive whodunnit formula

The original “Knives Out” is one of the few mid-budget movies in recent years to become a household name, and for good reason. It’s an engaging whodunnit with a cast of intriguing characters, smart subversions of the mystery formula, and sharp political commentary. “Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery” does all of this again, opting to use the success of the original to go big. The quaint house from the first film has been exchanged for an island, the mystery on display is much more audacious and striking and writer/director Rian Johnson’s commentary on wealth’s role in our society has been amplified and brought to center stage. However, the decision to heighten and expand the scope of the film in no way lessened my experience — “Glass Onion” is consistently hilarious and captivating, trading out some of the quaint mannerisms of the first film in favor of more bombastic moments.