Celebrate Indigenous heritage in HTX

vivian-lang-native-american-month
Vivian Lang / Thresher

By Sara Davidson     11/8/22 11:55pm

This November is Native American Heritage Month, and places both near and far from campus in the greater Houston area are hosting several events. Ranging from intimate readings to lively performances, this list includes representation from many of the tribes, not only regionally, but also from across the United States. Learn about several of the many things coming to Houston for this heritage month and be sure to check out your favorites.

Native American Championship Pow Wow 

Traders Village, as mentioned in the Thresher’s local markets article, not only has great steals on the market scene, but is also hosting the 32nd Annual Native American Championship Pow Wow. This is a two day event happening Nov. 12 and 13 that will have tribal dance contests, an arts and crafts show, music and more. Hundreds of Native Americans from across the country will be there to represent their heritage with authentic food and other offerings. Authentic tipis will also be on display with more information about various tribal histories. This event has something for everyone, whether you want to learn about the history, see and taste authentic traditions or stroll among the many shops selling goods from the represented tribes. 

Inprint at Brockman Hall 

Within the hedges of campus, Brockman Hall will host Inprint, a literacy arts nonprofit, on Nov 14. Guest speaker and three-term U.S. Poet Laureate Joy Harjo will be reading her new poetry collection “Weaving Sundown in a Scarlet Light: 50 Poems for 50 Years.” She was the first Native American to hold the U.S. Poet Laureate position, and is part of the nonprofit Margarett Root Brown Reading Series. Rice students can receive free tickets upon request, otherwise tickets are $5. 

American Indian Center of Houston 

This cultural center is “devoted to enhancing the Native American community in the Greater Houston area through personal, social, health and cultural development.” They have been open since early 2020 and seek to serve the over 60,000 Native Americans that call Houston home. While they have no upcoming events hosted by them listed on their website, they do have great resources about Native American culture. 

Book of the Month Club 

This virtual book club hosted by Bel Canto Books has monthly Zoom meetings to discuss the latest book on their list. To honor Native American Heritage Month, the club will be reading “Calling for a Blanket Dance” by Oscar Hokeah, with the following meeting set for Dec. 13. The book is about a young Native American man learning more about finding strength in his familial identity, and the author is a regional Native American fiction writer. If you’re looking for a great book to read and then get to discuss once the dust of finals season settles, this is a great club to try out. 

Museum fellows talk art, academia and experiential learning

On Monday mornings at 8 a.m., Ella Langridge walks upstairs to her desk at the Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens and gets to work, sifting through photocopies of Americana and decorative arts with pasts unknown. Langridge’s job, as this year’s Jameson Fellow for American Painting & Decorative Arts, is to research these artifacts, uncover their histories and communicate their uniquely American stories to the collection’s thousands of annual visitors. 

Review: ‘Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire’ is Peak Cinema

There is no easy way to quantify a film, much to the chagrin of lazy film critics and lazier audiences. We may try to force a movie to fit into a box labeled ⅗ or ⅘ , but occasionally, there appears a work of art that refuses such indignity. A breathtaking fabrication that rejects the premise of a “rating,” whatever that monstrous practice might entail. These magna opera simply are. Along this line of thought, it makes sense to characterize this film for what it is, rather than lambast it for what it is not. This movie is about giant monkeys and lizards fighting. 

Review: “Bryson Tiller re-envisions genre on self-titled album”

Seasoned R&B singer Bryson Tiller has returned with his fourth studio album, a self-titled record that infuses cyberpunk aesthetics into both its visuals and its sound. On the eponymous album, Tiller, best known for hits like “Don’t” and “Exchange,” takes on the challenge of deconstructing his own artistic journey. “Bryson Tiller” is a multi-genre departure from Tiller’s comfort zone. It features pop, dancehall, neo-soul and drill elements next to his signature combination of hip hop and R&B.