Friday, December 09, 2022 — Houston, TX

Senior Spotlight: Nida Fatima finds her calling

nida-fatima-zeisha-bennett-web
Zeisha Bennett / Thresher

By Kavya Sahni     10/4/22 11:54pm

Nida Fatima was the only girl from her town who moved abroad for college in her year. She grew up in Faisalabad, Pakistan, a two-hour drive away from Lahore.

“It’s definitely a story, because I don’t think it happens often: you’re in a family that only has girls, no boys. And then your family is poor. So they’re not supposed to be liberal, but somehow they are liberal,” Fatima, a Lovett College senior, said. “And somehow, they don’t have any money, but they do want you to go to college.”

Growing up, she said she knew that she needed to go to a college that could support her financially — and so, she said, she has spent her entire life working for her future. 

“Pakistan was dreary for me as a queer woman, as a liberal woman, as a person who was not strictly Islamic,” Fatima said. “It did not seem like I had any place in the community. It seemed like my whole life in Pakistan was going to be a fight, or a struggle for the next generation.”

Fatima said that as a queer woman, there was part of her identity that she did not share with her family for a very long time. She said that staying true to her queerness was not an easy journey for her as she grew up in Pakistan.

Fatima said she came into her freshman year at Rice with a lot of excitement and energy. Being placed in pre-determined social groups during Orientation Week was a great way to get her social life started at Rice. Fatima said that she did not relate to her friends from other colleges who were overwhelmed or dealing with homesickness.

“Coming to America was … a fresh breath,” Fatima said. “I felt like I had friends. I didn’t feel like I needed to explain myself or my choices.”

However, as time went by, Fatima said that the initial excitement of starting college and making new friends wore off, and she began to notice cultural differences that were not evident earlier. Leaving Pakistan and moving to the United States for college, without an interim period of adjustment, came with its own set of challenges.

“Social cues and your priorities and how you make friends and how you communicate, was such a big change for me that I felt like it took me — and it still takes me — years to understand,” Fatima said. “I think my first three years were spent understanding the Rice community.”

Fatima also said she had to navigate learning the new cultural demands of maintaining friendships. 

“Being quiet, laughing at something, just these very small gestures can have a very different meaning coming from like your own culture, or from different cultures,” Fatima said.

Fatima believes that while the Rice community does put in the effort to promote inclusivity and welcome people from diverse backgrounds, the community is still a long way from fully making these ideas a reality.

“There’s many facets to that diversity and inclusivity that we do [find] at Rice. But the mindset and the training that comes along with the concept of making diversity a thing, I don’t think that’s provided at Rice,” Fatima said. “I think the thought is there and yet in practice, maybe we have more to cover.”

This transition to the United States has been significant to both her Rice experience and her artwork, according to Fatima.

She said she is passionate about art as a form of expression — not just to make a statement for other people, but as an outlet for her own feelings. Her interest in poetry and painting deepened during her junior year at Rice.

“It seemed like I couldn’t express all of the emotions that I needed to,” Fatima said. “There was a time when I wanted to scream out into the world how I was feeling.”

Now in her senior year, Fatima said that she is more excited for the future. She is considering living in Japan for a few months to understand the country and its culture. On the other hand, she wants to move back to Pakistan and start a queer movement.

“It seems like the whole world will be open, and I can do anything,” Fatima said. “But at the end of the day, art is my calling. I would go back to Pakistan at some point of time and try to make a change. That is, I think, my role in society.”

SPECIAL PROJECTS 11/30/22 12:00am
Special Project: Abortion through the ages

The Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade in June, ending 50 years of constitutional protections for abortion in the United States. Abortion in Texas is now illegal in almost all cases. Students at Rice sought abortions before Roe, during its reign and will continue in the wake of Roe’s fall. The Thresher talked to alumni from the 1950s through the 2010s to build a timeline of relationships, sex and abortion at Rice.

World Cup fever infects campus

The FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 began Nov. 20 and has brought much of the world to a halt with each game. From last-second winners to amazing goals and seat-clenching upsets, the drama has been high and the world has been captivated by it. Students at Rice are no exception, with a number of watch parties taking place everyday to celebrate and give students a place to cheer on their favorite countries and players. The Pub at Rice has streamed many of the games and has been a hub for many soccer fans in the past week, according to Will Rice College senior and head bartender Jonathan Lloyd.

Deck the halls with these holiday activities

If you are looking to explore Houston in its peak holiday season, want to escape campus during dead days or would just like to unfreeze your inner Mariah Carey, look no further for a list of holiday attractions around campus this December.