Friday, December 09, 2022 — Houston, TX

Review: ‘Don’t Worry Darling’ is a Slow Start Redeemed by a Strong Third Act

dont-worry-darling-courtesy-warner-bros
Photo courtesy Warner Bros

By Saswat Pati     10/4/22 11:48pm

Rating: ★★★½

There has perhaps been no movie in recent memory that has had as much controversy surrounding its release as “Don’t Worry Darling.” While the details could be an article within itself, I can say that this film is not nearly the catastrophe that the controversy surrounding its release would lead you to expect. In fact, “Don’t Worry Darling” has one of the strongest third acts that I’ve ever seen in a movie. If it were not for lackluster pacing in the first two acts, this would be a four star movie.

“Don’t Worry Darling” centers around Alice (Florence Pugh) and Jack (Harry Styles), a young couple in a seemingly idyllic 1950s suburban town called Victory. While Alice stays at home as a housewife, Jack goes to work on the Victory Project (think  the Manhattan Project) led by the charismatic, cult-like leader Frank (Chris Pine). Every evening, the couple spends time together and socializes with the other couples in the neighborhood. However, strange phenomena soon begin to occur, leading Alice to question the nature of the town they live in, what the Victory Project is actually doing and why she keeps having visions of a different world.

This film is gorgeous throughout, and director Olivia Wilde has a knack for capturing shots that truly stay with you after the credits roll. Every frame feels lush, and repeated motifs throughout contribute to the nagging feeling that although everything appears wonderful on the surface, there is something much more sinister afoot. Wilde does an excellent job of creating a sense of claustrophobia for the audience, which reflects the closing walls Alice begins to find herself in.

In that vein, this film is carried by  Florence Pugh’s magnificent performance as Alice. Her charisma leaps off the screen and she skillfully conveys the horror of the situation. Additionally, Harry Styles puts in a solid performance, at times going against his public persona and typecast. Chris Pine also does well for the most part as Frank, but his execution of the cult leader role by the end of the film feels somewhat generic.

Though all this appears to set up a great film, the first two acts are too plodding and feel excessively indulgent in the beauty of the world created. At points during the second act, the film almost feels too boring to watch, as the same themes are repeated without any novelty in their presentation.

However, near the end of the second act, the film makes the revelation of what is happening to Alice. From that point, it’s as if I was watching a completely different movie. The final third of the film is engaging, sophisticated and most importantly gets the film’s message across. I truly urge you to avoid spoilers so that you can have that same gasp that I did when I watched this movie for the first time. After seeing the third act, my opinion on this movie totally changed and I left the theater with a sense of satisfaction and relief for the main character.

All in all, “Don’t Worry Darling” is a great movie to see in theaters, and though it does require some patience through the first half, the conclusion makes the film well worth watching.

Review: MAX elevates House of Blues energy through the roof

Pop powerhouse MAX’s performance at Houston’s House of Blues on Nov. 10 was nothing short of electric. Although I was a relative newcomer to MAX’s music, I already knew and liked his songs “Still New York” and “Love Me Less (feat. Quinn XCII),” the latter of which was included on the setlist.  

Review: ‘The Nutcracker’ loses its footing this season

Upon entering the Wortham Center for the annual holiday show, there is an unmistakable anticipatory energy in the air, accompanying their signature Christmas tree and bubbly mingling between well-dressed patrons. “The Nutcracker” is undeniably a holiday favorite for audience members, but their excitement for the show may be misguided. Despite the show’s remarkable popularity, the Houston Ballet’s production falls short of the original’s charm.

Review: ‘Glass Onion’ sharpens and heightens the original’s subversive whodunnit formula

The original “Knives Out” is one of the few mid-budget movies in recent years to become a household name, and for good reason. It’s an engaging whodunnit with a cast of intriguing characters, smart subversions of the mystery formula, and sharp political commentary. “Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery” does all of this again, opting to use the success of the original to go big. The quaint house from the first film has been exchanged for an island, the mystery on display is much more audacious and striking and writer/director Rian Johnson’s commentary on wealth’s role in our society has been amplified and brought to center stage. However, the decision to heighten and expand the scope of the film in no way lessened my experience — “Glass Onion” is consistently hilarious and captivating, trading out some of the quaint mannerisms of the first film in favor of more bombastic moments.