Monday, November 28, 2022 — Houston, TX

Halloween Costumes to die for

jennifer_liu_halloween
Jennifer Liu / Thresher

By Sarah Knowlton     10/25/22 10:20pm

Are you still looking for a costume for that Halloweekend party? Check out these quick, easy costume ideas that can be created with your own closet (and maybe a little help from Amazon).

Album Art

Dress up as your favorite album cover. Meet some fellow Swifties by going as “Red (Taylor’s Version)”, or make it retro and go as Ziggy Stardust. No matter what you listen to, wear it proudly.

Movie Moment

If you’re more of a film buff, wear an iconic movie outfit. From Holly Golightly’s little black dress to Elle Woods’ hot pink courtroom look, there are decades of memorable shots that also make for great costumes.

Major Slay

Tired of telling people your major during the dreaded party small talk? Let your field of choice inspire your costume. Show off your Shakespeare knowledge as Hamlet or flex your pre-med status as a doctor.

Decades

If you have a big group of friends, try having everyone dress as a different decade! Not only is this costume easy to put together (surely someone has the perfect ‘90s-inspired flannel or ‘70s bell bottoms) but it’s a great way to include as many people as possible in your group costume.

Nostalgia

Can you execute the Winx Club or the Powerpuff Girls better than the modern television adaptations can? Whether by yourself or with friends, your favorite childhood TV show or movie can be a great costume that can come from your closet. Enjoy the nostalgia and bond with the people that loved the same things back in the day.

Be Bold

If you want to show your school pride, try a costume that only true Owls will understand. Get a pair of wings and go as Sammy the Owl, or track down a bald cap and Be Bald like our favorite presidents.

REMS to the rescue: Owls talk Collegiate EMS Week

From stubbed toes to life-threatening injuries, one group of dedicated students has seen it all. Throughout the past 26 years, Rice University Emergency Medical Services has rallied around the Rice community, providing support during natural disasters such as Winter Storm Uri and Hurricane Katrina and administering 4,372 vaccines during the COVID-19 pandemic. For Collegiate EMS Week, which takes place during the second week in November, the organization hosted a series of events to increase their visibility and continue expanding their impact on campus. 

Tyler Perini wants to be the mentor he never had

Tyler Perini — or, as students call him, Dr. P — is a Pfeiffer Postdoctoral Instructor in Computational and Applied Mathematics who also researches multiobjective discrete optimization at Rice. He grew up in Atlanta and did his undergraduate at the College of Charleston in South Carolina, where he studied applied math. He later returned to Atlanta to Georgia Tech and received his Ph.D. in operations research. 

Spice up your Thanksgiving break with these activities

Explore new ways to celebrate Thanksgiving in the greater Houston area. From parades to adventure parks, there is a Thanksgiving Day activity — or two — for everybody to enjoy this season. Bundle up and head out into town on Thanksgiving Day to make some unforgettable fun-filled memories.