Budget Bites: Fall for these Trader Joe’s items

vivian_lang_trader_joes
Vivian Lang / Thresher

By Sydney Park     10/18/22 10:29pm

‘Tis the season of pumpkin spice and everything nice. If you have been searching for cheap, festive meals to get you into the fall spirit, this review is for you. Every year around the month of October, Trader Joe’s releases a limited amount of fall-themed items in its stores. There are a wide array of impulsive purchases you can make, from ‘autumn-scented’ candles to Halloween cookies to pumpkin ravioli. Among the many tempting options, I chose to review muffins, bagels, brioche and soup, all at affordable price points. 

Gluten Free Pumpkin Streusel Muffins

This item is a hidden gem in my book. The muffin is incredibly moist and soft, and strikes a delectable balance between cinnamon and pumpkin flavors without one overshadowing the other. The sweetness is just right, not too overpowering or intense. It genuinely feels like eating a pumpkin pie, but in muffin form. They are gluten-free, but I honestly could not tell the difference. I recommend having it for breakfast with warm coffee or tea. Pricing is very reasonable at $4.99 for four generous portions. I would have preferred a crispier muffin top for better  texture, but that’s a minor detail. 

Pumpkin Bagels

Made with pumpkin flour and pumpkin pie spice bits, I was excited to try this new item as a bagel fanatic. Spoiler alert: it was a let down. Despite the various pumpkin ingredients, the pumpkin itself is actually quite challenging to taste. The spices — cinnamon, nutmeg and clove — overpower the palate, with an especially strong clove aftertaste. I found the bagel difficult to pair with cream cheese and other spreads as a result. The pumpkin bagels themselves were denser in texture compared to other bagels at Trader Joe’s. At $2.69, you receive six bagels, but I recommend skipping this item if you are not a fan of heavy spices. 

Pumpkin Brioche Twist

Priced at $4.49, you can now make your own fall-themed version of French toast. The brioche was absolutely divine, perfectly doughy and light. It essentially tastes like French toast with subtle notes of cinnamon and some pumpkin flavors here and there. It is worth noting that the brioche itself is quite thick, but this is mainly due to the fluffiness of the dough. I suggest pairing the bread with maple syrup and other breakfast sides such as sausage or fruit. The package contains about nine large slices, so you definitely get your money’s worth. There were only a few left on the shelf — need I say more? 

Pumpkin Butternut Squash Bisque

A finely blended purée, the soup is fairly simple but tastes quite fresh and comforting. The combination of pumpkin and squash pair harmoniously together, creating a thicker broth similar to a tomato soup. Soft notes of garlic, sage and nutmeg add a nuanced layer and contribute to the earthy tones of the dish. The soup can be served by itself, with a sandwich or with some toasted sourdough to dip. For $3.99, enjoy this warm, tasty bisque that is reminiscent of fall.

Museum fellows talk art, academia and experiential learning

On Monday mornings at 8 a.m., Ella Langridge walks upstairs to her desk at the Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens and gets to work, sifting through photocopies of Americana and decorative arts with pasts unknown. Langridge’s job, as this year’s Jameson Fellow for American Painting & Decorative Arts, is to research these artifacts, uncover their histories and communicate their uniquely American stories to the collection’s thousands of annual visitors. 

Review: ‘Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire’ is Peak Cinema

There is no easy way to quantify a film, much to the chagrin of lazy film critics and lazier audiences. We may try to force a movie to fit into a box labeled ⅗ or ⅘ , but occasionally, there appears a work of art that refuses such indignity. A breathtaking fabrication that rejects the premise of a “rating,” whatever that monstrous practice might entail. These magna opera simply are. Along this line of thought, it makes sense to characterize this film for what it is, rather than lambast it for what it is not. This movie is about giant monkeys and lizards fighting. 

Review: “Bryson Tiller re-envisions genre on self-titled album”

Seasoned R&B singer Bryson Tiller has returned with his fourth studio album, a self-titled record that infuses cyberpunk aesthetics into both its visuals and its sound. On the eponymous album, Tiller, best known for hits like “Don’t” and “Exchange,” takes on the challenge of deconstructing his own artistic journey. “Bryson Tiller” is a multi-genre departure from Tiller’s comfort zone. It features pop, dancehall, neo-soul and drill elements next to his signature combination of hip hop and R&B.