Friday, December 09, 2022 — Houston, TX

​​Review: ‘The Hardest Part’ is the sound of love’s funeral

noah-cyrus-courtesy-columbia-records
Photo courtesy Columbia Records

By Francesca Bliss     9/21/22 12:08am

Rating: ★★★★

Top Track: My Side of the Bed

Like a prism turns light into color, Noah Cyrus turns pain into music. Emotion moves through Cyrus’s sound without resistance, leaving nothing lost in translation between her experience and her expression. While Cyrus cultivates a beautifully melancholic palette in “The Hardest Part,” I’m left equally impressed with her lyricism as I am with her musicality. “The Hardest Part” does more than provide listeners with ten pretty songs to cry to, it paints Cyrus’ world of doomed love, addiction and fragility with vivid colors and palpable grief.

The opening lyric in the album’s first song, “Noah (Stand Still),” immediately draws us into the story Cyrus is telling: “When I turned twenty, I was overcome / With the thought that I might not turn twenty one.” Cyrus has found the key to writing short, simplistic and impactful lyrics by expressing lyrical meaning through thoughtful production. At the first mention of the song’s title, Cyrus emphasizes the word “still” by placing it on an upward inflection after the two preceding lines rather than the anticipated final downward inflection. Cyrus also embeds the word’s definition in her musicality — her decision to pair a monosyllabic word with a singular pitch leaves us with the halting feeling this song is meant to evoke. It is an impressive feat when an artist successfully defines their lyricism not only with words, but equally with composition, recognizing that the two work in tandem and that coalescence will only strengthen their message in the listener’s consciousness.

“Ready to Go” exemplifies Cyrus’ mastery of the bittersweet sound we’ve come to associate with breakup music. This track falls under a subcategory of heartbreak songs: selfless, one-sided love. We can find similar tones and themes within the music of artists such as Lana Del Ray and Amy Winehouse. The sound of one-sided love seems to be largely feminized within modern music, placing a heavy emphasis on the kinds of higher, softer tones that are so consistent throughout “Ready to Go” and the album as a whole.

The beauty of “My Side of the Bed” lies in how the accompaniment complements the words. Cyrus’s use of suspension at the end of phrases in both the instrumentals and vocals creates a visceral experience of the emotion she’s conveying. By noticeably slowing down the tempo upon arriving at the words “over the edge,” Cyrus has replicated the physical feeling of hanging over the edge of something. It is attention to such details that distinguishes a thoughtful musician from a forgettable one.

“The Hardest Part” does what good music does: it takes us into another world. It fulfills that desire to teleport into a story other than their own, which fuels our consumption of art across mediums. Noah Cyrus knows the sound of loving the wrong person, and by the end of “The Hardest Part,” so do we.

Review: MAX elevates House of Blues energy through the roof

Pop powerhouse MAX’s performance at Houston’s House of Blues on Nov. 10 was nothing short of electric. Although I was a relative newcomer to MAX’s music, I already knew and liked his songs “Still New York” and “Love Me Less (feat. Quinn XCII),” the latter of which was included on the setlist.  

Review: ‘The Nutcracker’ loses its footing this season

Upon entering the Wortham Center for the annual holiday show, there is an unmistakable anticipatory energy in the air, accompanying their signature Christmas tree and bubbly mingling between well-dressed patrons. “The Nutcracker” is undeniably a holiday favorite for audience members, but their excitement for the show may be misguided. Despite the show’s remarkable popularity, the Houston Ballet’s production falls short of the original’s charm.

Review: ‘Glass Onion’ sharpens and heightens the original’s subversive whodunnit formula

The original “Knives Out” is one of the few mid-budget movies in recent years to become a household name, and for good reason. It’s an engaging whodunnit with a cast of intriguing characters, smart subversions of the mystery formula, and sharp political commentary. “Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery” does all of this again, opting to use the success of the original to go big. The quaint house from the first film has been exchanged for an island, the mystery on display is much more audacious and striking and writer/director Rian Johnson’s commentary on wealth’s role in our society has been amplified and brought to center stage. However, the decision to heighten and expand the scope of the film in no way lessened my experience — “Glass Onion” is consistently hilarious and captivating, trading out some of the quaint mannerisms of the first film in favor of more bombastic moments.