Saturday, July 27, 2024 — Houston, TX

Explore these Houston attractions from new heights

rooftops-post-renly-liu-web
Renly Liu / Thresher

By Nishanka Kuthuru     9/27/22 11:01pm

Check out Houston from a new perspective by visiting some of the city’s best rooftops scenes. These venues offer varieties of activities to keep their visitors entertained throughout the day, with sunrise yoga at Skylawn, midday swimming at Marriott Marquis or night-time dancing at one of the many rooftop bars. Browse through some of the following recommendations to explore Houston from above.

Rise Rooftop

Looking to escape campus for a night? Rise Rooftop is a music venue less than four miles from campus that hosts a multitude of shows, from concerts to conferences to holiday events. Located in the heart of midtown, this event space has a retractable rooftop, which allows the open space to be covered in case of bad weather. Rise Rooftop hosts a variety of concerts for a wide range of genres, with some upcoming shows including concerts from Matoma to Mom Jeans and events from a Shrek-themed rave to Croptoberfest. 

Rooftop Cinema Club

One of only a handful of  rooftop cinema clubs in the world, The Houston Rooftop Cinema Club is truly a unique experience. Using wireless headphones for each person, moviegoers can enjoy films outside without distractions. Standard tickets range from $17.50 to $25.25, depending on ticket type and day of the week, but students can enjoy 10% off with the voucher code UptownStudent2022. From dates to solo outings, the Rooftop Cinema Club, located less than eight miles from campus, is a perfect way to enjoy a movie under the stars.

Skylawn at POST 

How many things can you put on a roof? The answer is: far too many. The Skylawn rooftop at POST Houston includes seven distinct gardens, a skyline promenade, an event space, a stage, a game space and much more. A never ending source of entertainment, Skylawn hosts events ranging from yoga and Zumba lessons to outdoor concerts. With five acres of rooftop, Skylawn is the perfect place to enjoy outdoor activities with friends while witnessing a spectacular 360-degree view of Downtown Houston.

Marriott Marquis Texas Pool

Too hot outside? Beat the heat by going to The Marriott Marquis in downtown Houston. This hotel is equipped with several amenities, including a spacious sixth-floor rooftop terrace. Called Altitude Rooftop & Pool, this impressive venue has been compared by many visitors to a tropical rooftop park. Including both a heated rooftop infinity pool and an exclusive Texas-shaped lazy river, you can enjoy long hours of relaxation under the Texas sun by staying at the hotel or purchasing a day pass.

Z on 23 Rooftop Bar

Perched on top of Le Méridien Houston Downtown Hotel, you will find Z on 23 Rooftop Bar, Houston’s highest open rooftop bar. A stylish cocktail bar with a fantastic 360-degree view over Houston, Z on 23 boasts beautiful sunset and skyline views. Looking for a drink while you enjoy the magnificent view? This bar’s menu includes a wide selection of handcrafted signature cocktails, premium spirits and wine. 

77 Degrees Rooftop

One of the trendiest bars in Houston, 77 Degrees Rooftop is set over four levels. The Caribbean-themed open venue has a mix of cabanas and swings to sit on while you enjoy one of their famous $12 Caribbean-inspired specialty cocktails, such as the “Cayman Account,” or any of their tropical treats. Climb to the top of the venue and treat yourself to panoramic views of the Houston skyline.