Monday, November 28, 2022 — Houston, TX

New semester offers new beginnings for students, admin

Every August, as Orientation Week wraps up and the fall semester begins, it feels as if the campus is rejuvenated with new life. That feeling is especially prevalent for students this time around, as this is the first semester to start with fully in-person classes since January of 2020. But what many students might not realize is that this year is also a fresh start administratively. In addition to welcoming a new president, Rice announced the hiring of five new vice presidents and a new provost. 

In many ways, this year is the closest thing to a clean slate this university has seen in many years. Both students and the new administration should take advantage of this clean slate to work together to build the campus community we want in this “post-COVID” era.

Students, be cognizant of the fact that there is a new administration that can and will operate differently than the previous one. Rather than lump them together with the previous administration, take the time to understand their roles and set out to communicate your wants. Take advantage of this transition by reaching out to specific members of the administration to discuss your concerns rather than just stating complaints to your peers; it is through maintaining a direct line of communication that we can have an effective administration.

Likewise, it is important for this new administration to make the effort to get to know the student body and all of their concerns and needs. Many hires came from large public state schools like the University of Michigan and Georgia Institute of Technology, with very different environments and cultures than Rice. It is critical that you connect with the campus in order to understand its community.

As we navigate through a year of changes, students and administrators alike should make efforts to connect with, share concerns with and learn from each other.

Where we must agree: the politics of humanness

The words “free speech” will likely elicit groans from Thresher readers. Over the last three years, there have been three articles in the Opinion section bemoaning the need for a “classically liberal” political discourse at Rice. Unfortunately, between their self-righteousness and needless wordiness, they read more like whiny lectures than conversation starters. However, despite their condescension, their existence does suggest something unsettling about not just our campus politics, but politics at large. As the electorates of democracies around the world have become more sharply divided, the way we speak to each other, not just across the aisle but to our similarly minded partisans, has become more accusatory, exclusionary and violent. Put simply: we do not want to talk to each other, and understandably so. It is exhausting, and, more than that, we just don’t seem to know how to.

Off-campus students should sublet their rooms to those who need winter break housing

For the first time since 2019, Rice is not allowing undergraduate students to remain in their on-campus housing during winter break. While this is a disappointing development, we understand why this decision needed to be made. Like students, staff need a break after a long semester. Further, keeping students on campus by providing housing over break was originally implemented to address pandemic travel restrictions, which are mostly gone. However, the need for winter housing is not gone. This decision still leaves some international students — or any other on-campus student looking to remain in Houston — scrambling for housing.

The Honor Council needs to act more responsibly

For the past year, I have served as an at-large representative on the Rice Honor Council. I have sat through dozens of cases, read hundreds of pages of evidence and spent countless hours working to improve the transparency and fairness of the Honor System. While there are a myriad of issues with the Honor System, as there are with any institutional system, there is one in particular that needs to be addressed with expediency. The Honor Council is currently not an effective deliberative body due to the general lack of engagement from some of its members, which include elected representatives.