Monday, November 28, 2022 — Houston, TX

Let’s show our gratitude for campus staff

alexathomases
Photo courtesy Alexa Thomases

By Alexa Thomases     8/23/22 9:23pm

Editor’s Note: This is a guest opinion that has been submitted by a member of the Rice community. The views expressed in this opinion are those of the author and do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of the Thresher or its editorial board. All guest opinions are fact-checked and edited for clarity and conciseness by Thresher editors.

“If Seibel serves PAOW one more time, I’m dropping out.” It’s all too common for Rice students to gripe about the food and facilities. I know I’ve been guilty of it. In my experience, complaining sometimes becomes an easy bonding opportunity amongst students: lulls in the conversation are frequently filled with hyperbolic jokes about food at North being inedible or about dorms the size of shoeboxes. I don’t want to dismiss the legitimate difficulties that students with dietary restrictions or accessibility needs face at Rice. However, the majority of complaints I hear seem to come from students who expect luxury but overlook the employees who work so hard to provide for our every need. Rice’s campus staff is incredible and I urge us all to show them more respect and gratitude.

Rice’s Housing and Dining and Facilities Engineering and Planning departments create a quality of life that most college students would envy. The serveries have fruits and vegetables at every meal and always offer a variety of options; the food is ready at our convenience and we never need to wash or bus our own dishes; our college commons are cleaned several times a day. When we accidentally leave trash lying around, H&D employees pick up after us. The lush grass, cozy study spots and 4300 trees across campus are painstakingly maintained without any effort on our part. 

In addition to habitual complaining, another pattern I’ve seen is the tendency to simply ignore Rice’s custodial employees. When we get caught up in our busy schedules, we tend to look right past the people washing our classroom windows, serving our food, constructing our new buildings and tending to our green spaces. In doing so, we treat them as a means to an end rather than with humanity. 

We can do better. 

More importantly, H&D and FE&P employees deserve better. Hours before we wake up just in time for our first class, they’re hard at work preparing breakfast and cleaning bathrooms. They exemplify dedication and consistency year-round, keeping Rice running while we enjoy summer and academic breaks. These staff are an integral part of our Rice community and a key reason why the Rice experience is such an incredible one. 

Last month, the $15-per-hour minimum wage that former President David Leebron announced last November went into effect. I was naïvely surprised to learn that, prior to July 1, many employees in custodial, food service and groundskeeping received the previous minimum wage of $11.50 per hour. Learning this figure was a much-needed reminder that some of the most dedicated and hardworking staff on Rice campus are often underappreciated.

I urge everyone to show a little extra kindness towards campus staff. If you have the financial means, donating to your college’s annual H&D Appreciation Fund is an effective way to materially support H&D staff. Small gestures of warmth and appreciation are important too: asking the dining staff about their weekends when they swipe you into the servery, thanking the groundskeepers in the Academic Quad and saying hi to the custodians who keep your college commons clean. Lastly, we need to respect the work of Rice’s groundskeepers by avoiding taking shortcuts that destroy grass and plants. 

As we return to our beautiful campus this month and remember just how lucky we are to be at Rice, I hope we can be more intentional about showing gratitude for our campus staff members. 

Where we must agree: the politics of humanness

The words “free speech” will likely elicit groans from Thresher readers. Over the last three years, there have been three articles in the Opinion section bemoaning the need for a “classically liberal” political discourse at Rice. Unfortunately, between their self-righteousness and needless wordiness, they read more like whiny lectures than conversation starters. However, despite their condescension, their existence does suggest something unsettling about not just our campus politics, but politics at large. As the electorates of democracies around the world have become more sharply divided, the way we speak to each other, not just across the aisle but to our similarly minded partisans, has become more accusatory, exclusionary and violent. Put simply: we do not want to talk to each other, and understandably so. It is exhausting, and, more than that, we just don’t seem to know how to.

Off-campus students should sublet their rooms to those who need winter break housing

For the first time since 2019, Rice is not allowing undergraduate students to remain in their on-campus housing during winter break. While this is a disappointing development, we understand why this decision needed to be made. Like students, staff need a break after a long semester. Further, keeping students on campus by providing housing over break was originally implemented to address pandemic travel restrictions, which are mostly gone. However, the need for winter housing is not gone. This decision still leaves some international students — or any other on-campus student looking to remain in Houston — scrambling for housing.

The Honor Council needs to act more responsibly

For the past year, I have served as an at-large representative on the Rice Honor Council. I have sat through dozens of cases, read hundreds of pages of evidence and spent countless hours working to improve the transparency and fairness of the Honor System. While there are a myriad of issues with the Honor System, as there are with any institutional system, there is one in particular that needs to be addressed with expediency. The Honor Council is currently not an effective deliberative body due to the general lack of engagement from some of its members, which include elected representatives.