Tuesday, July 05, 2022 — Houston, TX

Y2K Style: Check out these 2000’s inspired outfits

courtesy-saanya-bhargava
Photo courtesy Saanya Bhargava

By Shreya Challa     3/29/22 11:02pm

It has been two long years since the last public, but after much waiting and anticipation, McMurtry finally held the first public of the year this past Saturday March 26: Y2K. Donning butterfly clips and fishnet, jerseys and glitter, Rice students drew inspiration from decades-olds trends for the party. The Rice community submitted their best 2000’s-inspired outfits from the weekend to the Thresher for us to compile.

Saanya Bhargava

McMurtry College junior

Photo courtesy Saanya Bhargava

Inspiration: “For my Y2K outfit, I decided to cut the McMurtry Y2K shirt to make it look cute, used rainbow elastics for my bubble braids, wore bell-bottom jeans and glitter eyeshadow! The hair totally reminded me of my childhood.”

Ariah Richards

McMurtry College freshman

Photo courtesy Ariah Richards

Inspiration: “Showing midriff and wearing sunglasses”

Jacob Kauffman

Will Rice College junior

Inspiration: “This is me (right) and my good friend Stone Li (Murt 2025)! For my outfit, I chose to wear one of my favorite basketball jerseys of all time, a tribute to Kanye’s 2007 hit album, Graduation and my favorite song on the album, Champion. This is a jersey I’ve owned for a few years, but with Kanye being in a lot of headlines recently, I thought it would be super topical for a Y2K outfit. I’m also rocking some blue-tinted Rectangular sunglasses because I know rectangular sunglasses were kind of popular in the 2000s.”

Caleb Dukes

Lovett College senior

Inspiration: “My childhood meets the classic butterfly clip girl.”

Photo courtesy Caleb Dukes

Jazmine Castillo

McMurtry College junior

Photo courtesy Jazmine Castillo

Inspiration: “My inspiration was emo/pop punk subculture. Layers, multiple textures/patterns, all in black of course.”

Editor’s Note: Morgan Gage, Thresher arts & entertainment editor, contributed to this article.