Thursday, October 06, 2022 — Houston, TX

Students talk first normal spring break after two years

andrea_gomez_stamps-spring-break
Illustrated by Andrea Gomez

By Riya Misra     3/22/22 11:13pm

As March ushers in the first official day of spring, it also marks the first normal spring break for Rice students since 2019. The COVID-19 pandemic sent students home in the spring break of March 2020 and last spring, student holidays throughout the semester replaced spring break. On these “sprinkle days,” classes were not held and assignments could not be due. 

Cindy Sheng, a junior from McMurtry College, said that despite being an upperclassman, she experienced her first proper spring break this year. 

“We went home our freshman year and last year we had sprinkle days,” Sheng said. “This was our first spring break, so that’s been surreal.”

For the break, Sheng said she traveled to South Padre Island with a group of friends. Sheng said they went to the beach and visited restaurants like The Meatball Cafe.

“For break, we wanted to go somewhere warm and tropical,” Sheng said “Everybody seemed to be going to Miami and we felt inspired on that front, so we chose a similar but cheaper option.”

Other students didn’t travel for spring break. Graham Waterstraat, a freshman from Sid Richardson College, said he remained on campus for the break and explored more of Houston.

“I had two friends who also stayed here, so we hung out most of the time,” Waterstraat said. “It was a chill week. We went to the zoo and the Houston Museum of Natural Science. We ate out at Rice Village a couple of times.”

Waterstraat, who is originally from Chicago, said he stayed at Rice as his family was taking a road trip to tour colleges. 

“It just wasn’t really worth the ticket home to Chicago,” Waterstraat said.

Some students, like Will Coben, a fifth-year senior from Wiess College, split their time between Rice and travel. Coben said he spent half of the week visiting a friend in Colorado.

“Usually for spring break, I’ve gone home,” Coben said. “This is the first [break where] I was on campus for a good portion of [it] and also got to travel. It was nice being here, hanging out with my roommates, without responsibilities.”

Coben said he was able to experience a normal spring break both before and after the pandemic.

“I’m happy I had a good [break], and I’m also thankful for the past ones I got to enjoy,” Coben said.

Michael Wang, a freshman from Wiess, said he traveled to Baltimore, Maryland as a participant in “Check the Tech,” an Alternative Spring Break hosted by the Center for Civic Leadership. Wang said his group learned about racial biases affecting medical devices and worked with graduate students at Johns Hopkins University’s Center for Bioengineering Innovation & Design.

“I had a phenomenal time,” Wang said. “It was a great learning experience for me and the other students there.”

Pandemic border restrictions have relaxed, and some students even traveled internationally. Solomon Ni, a freshman from Jones College, and Allison Stocks, a sophomore from Lovett College, said they traveled to Cancun, Mexico together with Stocks’ family.

“We drove to Akumal Beach, went to Playa del Carmen and swam in cenotes,” Stocks said. “[Ni] made Chinese food for my family.”

Stocks said she enjoyed this year’s spring break, especially in comparison to last year’s sprinkle days.

“Last year, we had sprinkle days, and sprinkle days were days to sleep and do homework,” Stocks said. “Whereas this year, I got to go to the beach. So this year was much better than last year.”

FEATURES 10/5/22 12:02am
Flying off shelves: Read these banned books

On Oct. 6, Fondren Library is collaborating with Rice’s Center for the Study of Women, Gender, and Sexuality to present a Banned Books Read Out, where Rice members will read excerpts from their favorite banned or challenged books. In honor of this event, the Thresher has rounded up a list of banned books. The titles are accessible on campus or through Fondren Library’s database, in case you find yourself looking for some new reads during midterm recess.

FEATURES 10/5/22 12:01am
Going behind the counter with the GMs of Rice’s SRBs

Whether getting a caffeine fix, late-night dinner or their bike repaired, Rice students are no doubt familiar with many of the campus’ student-run businesses. What students often don’t see, though, is behind the scenes of SRBs — a general manager fixing the credit card machine or ensuring the oat milk supply returns. 

Midterm recess activities worth driving for

After a long first few weeks of classes, students get the upcoming fall break to relax and rewind before getting back into the swing of things. If you want to go beyond the hedges this fall break after crushing your papers and exams, here are a few spots within driving distance from Rice to explore during fall break.