Tuesday, September 27, 2022 — Houston, TX

Review: EARTHGANG creates socially conscious Southern hip hop on ‘GHETTO GODS’

ghetto-gods-courtesy-interscope-records
Photo courtesy Interscope Records

By Jacob Pellegrino     3/8/22 11:19pm

Rating: ★★★★

Top Track: “WATERBOYZ (with JID & J. Cole)”

Similar to many people’s experience, the pandemic and lockdown was a time of reflection for Johnny Venus and Doctur Dot, the duo behind EARTHGANG. Instead of  touring or interacting with fans, the members of EARTHGANG put their energy towards “the godly part of really just transforming yourself.” This transformation has led to an album that deals with a form of godliness and success achievable through hard work and the uplifting support of their community. 

“GHETTO GODS” embraces a socially conscious lyrical style that lends itself to a deeper exploration of Blackness in America after previously investigating faith and religion in 2020’s “Spilligion.” An early highlight on the album is “WATERBOYZ,” which features label-head J. Cole and frequent collaborator JID. The track alludes to young boys in Atlanta who sell water bottles at busy intersections to help support their families, a common form of hustling that is often demonized in news. It begins with an off-kilter beat that creates a swinging feeling throughout the song and continues throughout “WATERBOYZ.” Verses deal with topics from the influence of money and greed on fame, the dangers of street crime and the benefits of success. Both JID and J. Cole’s verses fit well on the track and elevate its overall sound.

Another track, “ALL EYES ON ME” has the same title, albeit with a different spelling, as the last album Tupac Shakur released during his lifetime. It celebrates Black success in spite of countless factors working against Black Americans. “In this world, [Black] men are targets, political targets, physical targets, always criticized and judged by their appearance, the chains, the money, the skin. All eyes are one us yet we still shine,” reads a tweet from EARTHGANG promoting the single. The song also works with the theme of Tupac’s untimely death with the theme of loss and the people who didn’t make it. “I could tat a hundred tears on my face,” utters Johnny Venus, referencing the popular prison tattoo as a sign of loss, the hyperbolic image of 100 face tattoos to call to mind the unequal rate of Black incarceration. Doctur Dot’s verse also brings in the idea of leveraging success to help the broader community and improve more people’s lives.

Later on the album, “POWER” embraces a strong production style. It opens with a guitar solo that breaks into the kind of strong vocal backing that would feel at home in  larger-than-life film scores like “Dune.” The sound then fluidly moves into a more tender piano-based backing that flows into a Gospel-infused chorus from CeeLo Green. All the while, verses contrast the search for power through fame and money with the loss of power that many people experience. While many other artist’s tracks with a similar theme solely focus on a personal search for power, EARTHGANG hones in on using the power of money and fame to make a positive change for others.

Throughout “GHETTO GODS,” EARTHGANG draws from a range of genres and styles while rooting their sound in Southern hip hop to create a socially conscious work that effectively conveys a wide range of issues facing Black Americans. The album’s  intentionality creates a focused album that is varied musically but feels unified in its purpose and sound.

Review: ‘See How They Run’ is a fun, quirky ode to the whodunnit

The prospect of writing a whodunnit is undeniably challenging – as Adrien Brody’s character says in “See How They Run,” “Once you’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all.” Audiences have been accustomed to solving the mystery due to both the formula’s consistency and the Internet’s role in facilitating fan theories, creating a generation of filmgoers looking out for every detail. However, despite this challenge, the whodunnit genre is seemingly making a comeback: 2019’s “Knives Out” was a major success with a sequel coming out later this year, and “See How They Run” debuted in theaters to positive reception this past Friday. “See How They Run” forges its own identity by simultaneously taking a comedic approach to the whodunnit through parody  and creating a loving tribute to the mystery subgenre.

Review: BLACKPINK crafts an addicting and varied album with ‘BORN PINK’

On “BORN PINK,” BLACKPINK creates an addicting album that melds elements of pop, hip-hop and rock, leaving listeners wanting more. Drawn from a wide range of locations and forged through years of preparation in K-pop’s trainee system, BLACKPINK has found a unique sound that draws from both the strengths of its members Lisa, Jennie, Rosé and Jisoo, as well as the combined production savvy of their agency, YG Entertainment, and producer Teddy Park.

​​Review: ‘The Hardest Part’ is the sound of love’s funeral

Like a prism turns light into color, Noah Cyrus turns pain into music. Emotion moves through Cyrus’s sound without resistance, leaving nothing lost in translation between her experience and her expression. While Cyrus cultivates a beautifully melancholic palette in “The Hardest Part,” I’m left equally impressed with her lyricism as I am with her musicality. “The Hardest Part” does more than provide listeners with ten pretty songs to cry to, it paints Cyrus’ world of doomed love, addiction and fragility with vivid colors and palpable grief.