Check out these local restaurants from Eat Drink HTX

eat-drink-htx-courtesy-nitro-creamery
Photo courtesy Nitro Creamery

By Eli Mendoza     3/8/22 11:18pm

Eat Drink HTX is an event put on by the Cleverley Stone Foundation, named after a mom who, inspired by Houston Restaurant Week, wanted to help bring awareness to casual dining restaurants in Houston by connecting the restaurants to their communities. Participating restaurants offer a special menu for lunch, dinner and brunch, each one making donations to the Houston Food Bank and Star of Hope, a Christian organization dedicated to helping Houston’s homeless population.

This event took place from Feb. 15 to 28, and, although it is over at the time of publication, these restaurants are still open for business, and donations are welcome year-round to both the Houston Food Bank and Star of Hope. Here are some options to check out.

1. Meshiko Sushi - 8200 Washington Avenue

Think “Meshiko” sounds a bit like “Mexico”? That’s the idea behind this small sushi restaurant in Railway Heights that incorporates Mexican cuisine into the popular and versatile fish dish. We’re talking Japanese taquitos, shrimp tempura with jalapeno and sushi tacos as well as the cleverly-named “eda-mommy” with garlic and chili paste.  This restaurant is a unique place to go for all adventurous lovers of Mexican and/or Japanese cuisine.

2. Mac & Twist - 8200 Washington Avenue

Anybody who knows me knows I love macaroni and cheese, and I know many of yall do, too. They set themselves apart from other options in the area with unique combos in small enjoyable portions. The restaurant offers vegetarian and halal options on their menu. They even have mac and cheese eggrolls and tequenos! 

3. Dak and Bop - 1805 W 18th Street

Despite the name, this restaurant is so much more than chicken and rice. After their original restaurant concept had to close, they opened their new location in 2020, showcasing their Korean-Italian fusion dishes. The place also has a cocktail menu, a full bar, TVs and open space. There are a few vegetarian and vegan options, although most of their menu consists of namesake chicken dishes.

4. Shoot the Moon - 8155 Longpoint Road

Want to go somewhere where your vegetarian, vegan or gluten-free friends can feel comfortable ordering? Shoot the Moon is a casual-style bar-restaurant with a variety of pizzas (including gluten-free crust and cheeseless options), salads, sandwiches and sides that are either mostly or completely plant-based. There’s also a large variety of spirits and a four-hour long happy hour, seemingly offering something for everyone.

5. Xin Chao - 2310 Decatur Street

What good would it be to have a list of Houston restaurants without at least one Vietnamese place? Christine Ha, the co-executive chef, is perhaps best-known for winning “Master Chef” with Gordon Ramsay in 2012 — the first blind chef to do so — and opened The Blind Goat in 2019. She opened this contemporary Vietnamese restaurant with Tony Ngyuen, known for his incorporation of his family’s recipes into Saigon House’s menus. Their menu has explicitly marked vegan and gluten-free options, and their drink menu may be longer than their food menu. With so many connections in the Houston Vietnamese community, this place is bound to be great.

6. HTX Nitro Creamery - Mobile: check Instagram

Ready for some dessert? HTX Nitro Creamery is a “steampunk-inspired mobile frozen dessert experience.” Their offerings and location vary by week, but they update their Instagram with their location and flavor offerings, which are all locally sourced and frozen using nitrogen, a process that has gained popularity in the past few years. Nitrogen freezes the cream so quickly  that there’s no time for large ice crystals to form, meaning it stays solid for longer, tastes smoother than traditional ice cream and is easier to prepare. They also offer natural and dairy-free fruit pops for the lactose-intolerant in your party. 

Museum fellows talk art, academia and experiential learning

On Monday mornings at 8 a.m., Ella Langridge walks upstairs to her desk at the Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens and gets to work, sifting through photocopies of Americana and decorative arts with pasts unknown. Langridge’s job, as this year’s Jameson Fellow for American Painting & Decorative Arts, is to research these artifacts, uncover their histories and communicate their uniquely American stories to the collection’s thousands of annual visitors. 

Review: ‘Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire’ is Peak Cinema

There is no easy way to quantify a film, much to the chagrin of lazy film critics and lazier audiences. We may try to force a movie to fit into a box labeled ⅗ or ⅘ , but occasionally, there appears a work of art that refuses such indignity. A breathtaking fabrication that rejects the premise of a “rating,” whatever that monstrous practice might entail. These magna opera simply are. Along this line of thought, it makes sense to characterize this film for what it is, rather than lambast it for what it is not. This movie is about giant monkeys and lizards fighting. 

Review: “Bryson Tiller re-envisions genre on self-titled album”

Seasoned R&B singer Bryson Tiller has returned with his fourth studio album, a self-titled record that infuses cyberpunk aesthetics into both its visuals and its sound. On the eponymous album, Tiller, best known for hits like “Don’t” and “Exchange,” takes on the challenge of deconstructing his own artistic journey. “Bryson Tiller” is a multi-genre departure from Tiller’s comfort zone. It features pop, dancehall, neo-soul and drill elements next to his signature combination of hip hop and R&B.