Seasonal review: Sprinkles finds its strength in classic flavors

sprinkles-photo-credit-sydney-park
Photo courtesy Sydney Park

By Sydney Park     2/1/22 11:15pm

Rating: ★★★★½

Pro tip: Check online menu monthly for new seasonal flavors

Whether you’re looking to celebrate an occasion, grab dessert after a quick bite or simply indulge your sweet tooth, Sprinkles never disappoints. Located in Rice Village on 2563 Amherst Street, Sprinkles Cupcakes, a popular nationwide dessert bakery, is creating new limited flavor items on a monthly basis. For the month of January, they offered a seasonal Pop Tart cupcake, and I was curious as to how it would compare with other traditional flavors in both taste and value. 

If you’re already a Sprinkles lover, then you’ll know that their iconic Red Velvet cupcake is a fan favorite. Dressed in sweet cream cheese frosting and a sugar layered dot, a vibrantly red, rich chocolate cake awaits. Priced at $4.50, the cupcake is hard to beat between its moist interior, perfect icing to cake ratio, and level of sweetness. It’s easy to understand how it became the company’s best-selling flavor.

In comparison, the Pop-Tart cupcake sits at a $6 menu price, arriving in light pink strawberry frosting sprinkled with green and pink sugar and decorated with a mini Pop-Tart on top. Surprisingly, there is a sweet buttery crust on the bottom of the vanilla cake, resembling the texture and flavors of the top of a crumble. As you continue to enjoy the notes of a strawberry shortcake, another hidden feature appears: an oozing center filled with strawberry jam. Combining all the elements together, the texture is delightful and the flavors work harmoniously. It certainly does not taste like a Pop-Tart, but the creativity and jam filling make for a very intriguing cupcake. However, between the crust and frosting, the cupcake is notably quite sweet. It doesn’t necessarily ruin the taste, but for those not into super sweet desserts, it’s better to share. 

So, is the seasonal item worth the extra price? Admittedly, I would have to give the better hand to Red Velvet once again. Although I appreciate Sprinkles’ originality, classics never die. Because the limited flavor is priced comparatively high, it becomes more difficult to justify paying $6 for a cupcake. Pop-Tart certainly embodies the high quality and creativity that Sprinkles is known for, but Red Velvet has set such an impressively strong standard to meet. 

For cupcake fans and sweet tooths alike, you will not be disappointed with a trip to Sprinkles. Although January’s seasonal item Pop-Tart didn’t quite reach the bar, the bakery is constantly developing new flavors to take on their original classics. For the first two weeks of February, be sure to head on over to browse seasonal flavors Heartthrob Red Velvet and Raspberry Chocolate Chip in addition to the almighty Red Velvet. 

Museum fellows talk art, academia and experiential learning

On Monday mornings at 8 a.m., Ella Langridge walks upstairs to her desk at the Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens and gets to work, sifting through photocopies of Americana and decorative arts with pasts unknown. Langridge’s job, as this year’s Jameson Fellow for American Painting & Decorative Arts, is to research these artifacts, uncover their histories and communicate their uniquely American stories to the collection’s thousands of annual visitors. 

Review: ‘Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire’ is Peak Cinema

There is no easy way to quantify a film, much to the chagrin of lazy film critics and lazier audiences. We may try to force a movie to fit into a box labeled ⅗ or ⅘ , but occasionally, there appears a work of art that refuses such indignity. A breathtaking fabrication that rejects the premise of a “rating,” whatever that monstrous practice might entail. These magna opera simply are. Along this line of thought, it makes sense to characterize this film for what it is, rather than lambast it for what it is not. This movie is about giant monkeys and lizards fighting. 

Review: “Bryson Tiller re-envisions genre on self-titled album”

Seasoned R&B singer Bryson Tiller has returned with his fourth studio album, a self-titled record that infuses cyberpunk aesthetics into both its visuals and its sound. On the eponymous album, Tiller, best known for hits like “Don’t” and “Exchange,” takes on the challenge of deconstructing his own artistic journey. “Bryson Tiller” is a multi-genre departure from Tiller’s comfort zone. It features pop, dancehall, neo-soul and drill elements next to his signature combination of hip hop and R&B.