Thursday, July 07, 2022 — Houston, TX

Gas leak forces several building evacuations

duncan-hall-channing-wang-web

By Savannah Kuchar     2/11/22 4:44pm

A gas leak forced multiple buildings to evacuate Thursday afternoon around 4 p.m., after a subcontractor on the New Engineering and Science Building project hit an exposed Centerpoint gas line, according to Associate Vice President for Facilities Engineering and Planning Kathy Jones.

Residents of McMurtry College and Duncan College were asked to leave the buildings for outdoor quad spaces. West servery and both college’s magister houses were also evacuated, followed shortly by the occupants of Duncan Hall. All buildings were later cleared for reentry just before 7 p.m., after the leak was fixed and air quality samples were taken, according to a message from Rice Alert.

Jones said Centerpoint made the necessary repairs to the line and that the issue is now fully resolved.

Michigan professor Amy Dittmar named Rice’s next provost

Amy Dittmar, the senior vice provost for academic and budgetary affairs and a professor of economics and finance at the University of Michigan, has been selected as Rice’s new provost, incoming president Reginald DesRoches announced Thursday. DesRoches, the current provost, will become Rice’s president on July 1, and Dittmar will start August 1.

SA drafts formal complaint against Chi Alpha after discrimination accusations

The Student Association executive board drafted a formal complaint against the Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship to present to University Court for violation of the SA Constitution nondiscrimination policy that every Rice organization is required to adhere to. This complaint comes in light of the recently published Thresher article, where several students shared their experience with discrimation within the club on the basis of sexual orientation.