Monday, September 26, 2022 — Houston, TX

Spring into the arts (at the last minute)

artsy-banner-ndidi-nwosu
Illustrated by Ndidi Nwosu

By Sara Davidson     1/11/22 10:48pm

With the spring semester upon us, those who are still short on hours or want another class to add to their schedule can rest easy. Below are some open arts-related classes which range from visual arts to film to music. These classes have something for everyone and accommodate a variety of skill levels, allowing students the chance to try things that might have otherwise been out of their comfort zone. As we spend the first two weeks on Zoom dreaming of classes with available seats, here are several to consider during the add/drop period. 

1. HOUSE OF DRELLA: ANDY WARHOL OUTSIDE-IN (ARTS 434) 

This course, which boasts no final exam, describes itself as a deep dive into the “art and life of Andy Warhol.” By studying films and texts created by and about him, as well as various art that he produced, this class examines his life’s work in the context of “Hollywood glamour and street smarts, drag time and drug time, work and working it, drift and abandon,” according to the course description. This class is a perfect way to examine art in a variety of mediums and contexts and gain a better understanding of one of America’s most famous artists. Meeting times are Wednesdays from 4:00-7:59 p.m.

2. INTRODUCTION TO THE HISTORY OF WESTERN ART II: RENAISSANCE TO PRESENT (HART 102) 

This art history course is great for those wanting to learn more about art history, or for anyone interested in history from a more out-of-the-box perspective. Reviews for the course highly recommend it, saying that the course offers a good “intersection of history, aesthetic and philosophy.” In addition, this class is taught by two professors, Professor Manca and Professor Bader, who each contribute unique insights about the various paintings, sculptures, and architecture reviewed. Meeting times are Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 10:00-10:50 a.m.

3. JUSTICE AND CINEMA (HART 389)

This class takes the history of film and puts a unique spin on it by examining the desire for criminal investigations and the search for justice in the world of cinema from very early on. In doing so, the course looks at films that include “court trials, investigat[ing] crimes, and seek[ing] truth” across a variety of cultures and backgrounds, according to the course description. Meeting times are Thursdays from 1:00-3:00 p.m. 

4. CORE TEACHINGS IN BLACK STUDIES (HART 306) 

This course seeks to look at “who and what are Black contemporary artists citing and why does it matter?,” according to the course description. It will achieve this goal through a variety of readings from artists such as Zora Neale Hurston, W.E.B. Du Bois, Claudia Rankine, and more. The course also boasts a large interdisciplinary aspect, looking at various studies and issues within Black art history, with a priority on inclusion for all students to learn more about Black aesthetics. Meeting times are Mondays and Wednesdays from 4:00-5:15 p.m. 

5. UNDERGRADUATE ORCHESTRA (MUSI 337)

Undergraduate orchestra is the place for anyone who plays an instrument and wants to be involved in a group musical setting. With consistent rehearsals and end of semester performances, this class is perfect for both music students and non-music students to improve their skills alongside a diverse group of people. This class is one that will let you stay sharp with your instrument and learn from some of the best instructors and fellow musicians around. Meeting times are to be determined.

Review: ‘See How They Run’ is a fun, quirky ode to the whodunnit

The prospect of writing a whodunnit is undeniably challenging – as Adrien Brody’s character says in “See How They Run,” “Once you’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all.” Audiences have been accustomed to solving the mystery due to both the formula’s consistency and the Internet’s role in facilitating fan theories, creating a generation of filmgoers looking out for every detail. However, despite this challenge, the whodunnit genre is seemingly making a comeback: 2019’s “Knives Out” was a major success with a sequel coming out later this year, and “See How They Run” debuted in theaters to positive reception this past Friday. “See How They Run” forges its own identity by simultaneously taking a comedic approach to the whodunnit through parody  and creating a loving tribute to the mystery subgenre.

Review: BLACKPINK crafts an addicting and varied album with ‘BORN PINK’

On “BORN PINK,” BLACKPINK creates an addicting album that melds elements of pop, hip-hop and rock, leaving listeners wanting more. Drawn from a wide range of locations and forged through years of preparation in K-pop’s trainee system, BLACKPINK has found a unique sound that draws from both the strengths of its members Lisa, Jennie, Rosé and Jisoo, as well as the combined production savvy of their agency, YG Entertainment, and producer Teddy Park.

​​Review: ‘The Hardest Part’ is the sound of love’s funeral

Like a prism turns light into color, Noah Cyrus turns pain into music. Emotion moves through Cyrus’s sound without resistance, leaving nothing lost in translation between her experience and her expression. While Cyrus cultivates a beautifully melancholic palette in “The Hardest Part,” I’m left equally impressed with her lyricism as I am with her musicality. “The Hardest Part” does more than provide listeners with ten pretty songs to cry to, it paints Cyrus’ world of doomed love, addiction and fragility with vivid colors and palpable grief.