Saturday, January 22, 2022 — Houston, TX °

Holiday sights around Houston

holiday-sights-courtesy-jackelin-reyna-houston-zoo
Photo courtesy Jackelin Reyna

By Disha Baldawa     11/30/21 11:44pm

It is beginning to look a lot like the holiday season with the lit up Christmas tree at Fondren, Mariah Carey playing at the President’s barbecue and lights wound around trees in Rice Village. To reel in the Houston winter vibes, look no further for a list of holiday attractions to visit during dead days to avoid studying for finals.

Starry Night Express

Immerse yourself in outer space with a 15 minute walk to  the Starry Night Express at Houston Museum of Natural Science. The Starry Night will take you on a live tour of the night sky, planets, the moon, constellations, Milky Way galaxy and beyond and is a perfect opportunity for stargazers of all ages. This show explores wonders beyond our galaxy and provides the audience with a chance to broaden their understanding about the universe. Tickets are $4 for members and $9 for the public.

Holiday Lights Hunting

Take the northbound red line to the Museum District and stroll on Main Street to take in the twinkling lights. Main Street is covered with life size displays of animals wrapped in bright colorful string lights and sparkling trees from mid-November till end of December. There are also light displays in River Oaks and in neighborhoods around campus.

Discovery Green Ice Rink

Visit the Discovery Green Ice Rink from Nov. 12 through Jan. 30 to brush up on your ice skating skills. Green Ice has special events such as Skating with the Stars where visitors can skate while watching musical performances and Clutch City Wednesdays where you can skate to music by Houston artists. Tickets cost $15 without discounts.

Zoo Lights

Swing by Zoo Lights at the Houston Zoo anytime between 5:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. from Nov. 15 through Jan. 9 to walk through a 125 foot long Infinity Tunnel of Light, take pictures in front of the 33 feet tall color-changing holiday tree and relive your childhood memories with Santa at the Twiga Café. The general admission tickets range from $14 to $26 depending on the day of the visit.

Review: FKA Twigs showcases dazzling candy-pop on ‘Caprisongs’

“Hey, I made you a mixtape / Because when I feel you, I feel me / And when I feel me, it feels good,” breathes FKA Twigs in “ride the dragon,” the first track on her latest album, “CAPRISONGS.” Released on Jan. 14, “CAPRISONGS” is a love letter to friendship, music, adventure, collaboration and, most of all, to Twigs herself. A drastic departure from the divine, heartrending emotion of “MAGDALENE,” its follow-up is a blitzy, feature-filled mirage of candied pop. Described by Twigs as “bronzer in the sink, alco pop on the side, a cherry lolly… a club pre-game, meeting a friend at the airport, just togetherness,” the album is studded with plastic rhinestones. Though “CAPRISONGS” sporadically falls prey to underdeveloped interludes and forgettable songs, its otherworldly synth frenzy renders it a respectable recovery mixtape. 

Review: Hanya Yanagihara’s 'To Paradise' — It took me there

The first man will never have to work in his life, in fact he is so wealthy he can leave everything to chase love. The second man is a broke paralegal who fled from his homeland and is now dating his wealthy boss. The third is a successful virologist, whose very success has trapped him instead of freeing him.

Review: Earl Sweatshirt embraces lush production and a newfound openness on ‘SICK!’

Earl Sweatshirt’s “SICK!” sees him use his shortcomings as fuel for a personal rebirth and desire for self-improvement. A lot has changed for Earl since his 2019 EP, “FEET OF CLAY.” At that time, he had been struggling with alcohol addiction and “an endless loop of self-harm and isolation.” Now, he has been working towards recovery by reducing alcohol and drug use while trying to be a good father to his young son.