Holiday sights around Houston

holiday-sights-courtesy-jackelin-reyna-houston-zoo
Photo courtesy Jackelin Reyna

By Disha Baldawa     11/30/21 11:44pm

It is beginning to look a lot like the holiday season with the lit up Christmas tree at Fondren, Mariah Carey playing at the President’s barbecue and lights wound around trees in Rice Village. To reel in the Houston winter vibes, look no further for a list of holiday attractions to visit during dead days to avoid studying for finals.

Starry Night Express

Immerse yourself in outer space with a 15 minute walk to  the Starry Night Express at Houston Museum of Natural Science. The Starry Night will take you on a live tour of the night sky, planets, the moon, constellations, Milky Way galaxy and beyond and is a perfect opportunity for stargazers of all ages. This show explores wonders beyond our galaxy and provides the audience with a chance to broaden their understanding about the universe. Tickets are $4 for members and $9 for the public.

Holiday Lights Hunting

Take the northbound red line to the Museum District and stroll on Main Street to take in the twinkling lights. Main Street is covered with life size displays of animals wrapped in bright colorful string lights and sparkling trees from mid-November till end of December. There are also light displays in River Oaks and in neighborhoods around campus.

Discovery Green Ice Rink

Visit the Discovery Green Ice Rink from Nov. 12 through Jan. 30 to brush up on your ice skating skills. Green Ice has special events such as Skating with the Stars where visitors can skate while watching musical performances and Clutch City Wednesdays where you can skate to music by Houston artists. Tickets cost $15 without discounts.

Zoo Lights

Swing by Zoo Lights at the Houston Zoo anytime between 5:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. from Nov. 15 through Jan. 9 to walk through a 125 foot long Infinity Tunnel of Light, take pictures in front of the 33 feet tall color-changing holiday tree and relive your childhood memories with Santa at the Twiga Café. The general admission tickets range from $14 to $26 depending on the day of the visit.

Museum fellows talk art, academia and experiential learning

On Monday mornings at 8 a.m., Ella Langridge walks upstairs to her desk at the Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens and gets to work, sifting through photocopies of Americana and decorative arts with pasts unknown. Langridge’s job, as this year’s Jameson Fellow for American Painting & Decorative Arts, is to research these artifacts, uncover their histories and communicate their uniquely American stories to the collection’s thousands of annual visitors. 

Review: ‘Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire’ is Peak Cinema

There is no easy way to quantify a film, much to the chagrin of lazy film critics and lazier audiences. We may try to force a movie to fit into a box labeled ⅗ or ⅘ , but occasionally, there appears a work of art that refuses such indignity. A breathtaking fabrication that rejects the premise of a “rating,” whatever that monstrous practice might entail. These magna opera simply are. Along this line of thought, it makes sense to characterize this film for what it is, rather than lambast it for what it is not. This movie is about giant monkeys and lizards fighting. 

Review: “Bryson Tiller re-envisions genre on self-titled album”

Seasoned R&B singer Bryson Tiller has returned with his fourth studio album, a self-titled record that infuses cyberpunk aesthetics into both its visuals and its sound. On the eponymous album, Tiller, best known for hits like “Don’t” and “Exchange,” takes on the challenge of deconstructing his own artistic journey. “Bryson Tiller” is a multi-genre departure from Tiller’s comfort zone. It features pop, dancehall, neo-soul and drill elements next to his signature combination of hip hop and R&B.