Monday, January 17, 2022 — Houston, TX °

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Oct. 6

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Morgan Gage     10/5/21 11:55pm

ON THE VERGE

Rice’s Visual and Dramatic Arts department will be performing “On the Verge, or, The Geography of Yearning” in Hamman Hall at 8:00 p.m. on Oct. 8 and 9 with a 3:00 p.m. matinee on Oct. 10. Student tickets are $5, faculty and staff tickets are $8 and general admission are $10.

HORROR ART EXHIBIT

Prime Art Gallery’s Horror Art Exhibit opens six rooms of horror art to the public on Oct. 10 and will remain open through Oct. 31. Admission is $10 and can be purchased ahead of time online.

FESTIVAL CHICANO

The “42nd Annual Festival Chicano” will be on Oct. 9 from 2-6 p.m. at Miller Outdoor Theatre. The festival is a reflection of a celebration of culture with several musical performances. Tickets are free but are available to reserve online ahead of time.

GREEK FESTIVAL

From Oct. 7-9 enjoy live music and dance, food, shopping and more at the Original Greek Festival held at Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral. The festival is from 5-10 p.m. on Oct. 7 and 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Oct. 8 and 9. Admission is $5.

Review: The Weeknd’s ‘Dawn FM’ is a purgatorial meditation on love and lust

There’s something surreal about seeing someone you listened to when you were younger perform with white hair and wrinkles. While this experience is typically reserved for people who have long graduated college, The Weeknd’s album cover and videos for his new album “Dawn FM” artificially accelerate this. To promote the album, Abel Tesfaye (The Weeknd) staged a livestream via Amazon of the album being played for a live audience where he stood in the center of a neon-lit platform, dancing and reacting to the music. Like his previous Super Bowl performance and the music video series for “After Hours,” he committed to the character created on the album cover, performing with the aged face and white hair seen on the promotional imagery.

Spring into the arts (at the last minute)

With the spring semester upon us, those who are still short on hours or want another class to add to their schedule can rest easy. Below are some open arts-related classes which range from visual arts to film to music. These classes have something for everyone and accommodate a variety of skill levels, allowing students the chance to try things that might have otherwise been out of their comfort zone. As we spend the first two weeks on Zoom dreaming of classes with available seats, here are several to consider during the add/drop period.