Thursday, December 08, 2022 — Houston, TX

Masks no longer required for indoor gatherings less than 10

breaking-news

By Talha Arif     10/11/21 11:54am

Masks will now be required indoors only for gatherings of more than 10 people, according to an email sent by Crisis Management Advisory Committee Chair Kevin Kirby on Oct. 11. This policy does not apply to classrooms, where students must remain masked.

Students do not need to wear masks inside as long as there are not more than ten people gathered together, according to Kirby.

“[For example], if you are in your college commons and you look across the commons and there are 100 people but only ten of you are gathered together, then that means you don’t have to wear your mask,” Kirby said.

Kirby said Rice plans on decreasing COVID-19 testing frequency over the course of the semester assuming conditions stay how they are, but they will not eliminate testing.

“We just need to understand what level of surveillance testing we should be doing to make sure we are staying safe,” Kirby said.

According to Kirby, the testing policy was not changed yet in order to monitor the effect of the indoor mask policy change.

“The other thing we wanted to make sure of was since its fall break, and people are traveling, they may come back and [have] been exposed to something as part of their travel,” Kirby said.

This policy change follows a positivity rate of less than 0.02 percent at Rice in the past week. The week before, Rice had a 0.16 percent positivity rate, according to the university’s COVID-19 dashboard.

There has been no evidence of classroom transmission to date, but it is something Rice is monitoring for, according to Kirby. Kirby said the classroom mask policy may eventually be rolled back, but he said he does not think it would occur this semester.

“[Classroom transmission] is something we [actively] look for because it's a question that comes up a lot,” Kirby said. “How long will we have to continue wearing masks in class, I don't know. But we don't have many policies left, and that's one of them.”

The vaccination rate for the Rice community is well over 90 percent, according to Kirby’s email. 

Rice is partnering with the Houston Health Department to offer Pfizer vaccines on Oct. 13, 14 and 15 in the East Gym of Tudor Fieldhouse. Rice community members and their families can receive a booster shot if they are eligible or their first or second dose if they have not gotten it already. There are around 400 vaccines that will be available each day.

[10/11/2021 4:12 p.m.] The article has been updated with more information about the policy change from Kevin Kirby, chair of the crisis management committee.

[10/11/2021 3:20 p.m.] This article has been corrected to reflect that the positivity rate last week was less than 0.02 percent, not 0.002 percent. 

SPECIAL PROJECTS 11/30/22 12:00am
Special Project: Abortion through the ages

The Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade in June, ending 50 years of constitutional protections for abortion in the United States. Abortion in Texas is now illegal in almost all cases. Students at Rice sought abortions before Roe, during its reign and will continue in the wake of Roe’s fall. The Thresher talked to alumni from the 1950s through the 2010s to build a timeline of relationships, sex and abortion at Rice.

‘Flipping over the rock’: Remembering the fight against sexual violence

Three years ago, the Rice campus was enveloped by protests and discussions over the state of the university’s sexual assault policies. Partially lost to the mists of time and overshadowed by the pandemic a few months later, these protests are largely unknown to today’s student body after the numerous social disruptions these last few years have seen.

Writer Anna Meriano talks youth literature, community

Since facing her first bout of writer’s block when scribbling down a story in kindergarten, Anna Meriano said she knew she wanted to be a writer. A Martel College (‘13) alumna, Meriano has watched those childhood dreams come to life as a middle-grade and young adult author published by HarperCollins and Penguin Random House. After writing fantasy stories about a family of brujas running a fictional Texas bakery and tales of girls finding belonging on their local quadball team, Meriano understands the power of children’s literature in shaping youth perspectives and works to share diverse stories of family, adolescence and friendship.