Sunday, September 26, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Sept. 8

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Morgan Gage     9/7/21 10:35pm

SAMBA CLASS

Learn how to samba on Sept. 9 from 7-9 p.m. in Midtown Park. The class is free and open to all skill levels with instruction provided by the Brazilian Cultural Institute.

MENIL OPENING

Attend the public opening of “Niki de Saint Phalle in the 1960s” at The Menil Collection on Sept. 10 from 6-8 p.m. The exhibit will be available for viewing afterwards during the Menil’s regular operating hours.

GATSBY MUSICAL

Watch the world premiere of musical based on F. Scott Fitzgerald’s “The Great Gatsby” at artFACTORY on Sept. 10 at 8 p.m. Tickets are $25 and available for purchase online.

OUTDOOR MOVIE FEST

Watch Outdoor Movies at the Gordy from Sept. 10-12. With Shakespeare-inspired 90s movies, food trucks, lawn games and more, O.M.G. Fest! begins with festival activities at 6 p.m. and films at 8 p.m. Wristbands are $10 and available for purchase online.

Review: ‘Malignant’ continually disappoints

“Malignant” has given me trust issues with director James Wan. With “The Conjuring,” “Insidious” and even “Aquaman,” I assumed any movie directed by Wan would be at least enjoyable to watch. Well, “Malignant” was the opposite of that. Filled with a storyline that drags on, predictable twists and a contrived plot, “Malignant” is a movie to stay far away from.

Rice returns to in-person theater

From canceled shows to Zoom rehearsals and socially distanced performances, theatre students and faculty at Rice have spent the past year adapting to the shifting restrictions of the COVID-19 pandemic. When COVID-19 forced students back home during Cole Thompson’s freshman year, they had the chance to witness first-hand some of the initial attempts at remote theater at Rice. Thompson, a Martel College junior, said that the student-written show they were involved in got converted into a radio play, and that they continued to participate in remote theater productions the following year.