Saturday, October 16, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Sept. 29

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Morgan Gage     9/28/21 10:43pm

R2 OPEN MIC NIGHT   

JoinR2 for their annual open mic night on Sept. 30 at 8 p.m. in Ray’s Courtyard. Come for snacks, drinks and student performances. Student performers can sign up online ahead of time or at the time of the event. 

HOUSTON CREOLE FEST       

Attend the Houston Creole Heritage Festival for music, food and more on Oct. 2 from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. in Midtown Park. Tickets are $10 for adults, and available online for purchase ahead of time.     

NIGERIA CULTURAL FEST               

The Nigeria Cultural Parade & Festival is Oct. 2 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. starting near the Toyota Center with the parade ending at the festival at Root Memorial Park. General admission is free. 

“SWEAT”      

Watch “SWEAT,” the story of three women working at a factory together, at the Alley Theatre. The show opens Oct. 1 and will be performing through Oct. 24. Tickets begin at $30 and are available for purchase on their website

Review: ‘What If…?’ is a worthy watch for Marvel fans

At the heart of Marvel’s “What If…?” is, unsurprisingly, the question: “what if?” The series, which is the first animated entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, is based on a popular comic book series of the same name. “What If...?” opts for a similar anthology format, with semi-standalone plots in each episode that eventually converge toward one storyline in the finale. Unlike the comic series, which has the expansive Marvel Comics’s canon at its disposal, the show opts for a smaller scope with only characters that have already appeared in the MCU. These creative guardrails on “What If...?” are the central problem of the show’s first season, which has flashes of immense storytelling potential amidst a more inconsistent affair. 

Haunted houses that call H-Town home

October is here, and with Halloween right around the corner, many of the more brave owls will find themselves looking for a frightful time beyond the hedges. With that, the Thresher delivers, with some of our favorite haunts around Houston. Most of these are not for the faint of heart, but we did include some family friendly ones so your friend who was too scared to watch “Squid Games” can tag along. Go visit, if you dare, and scare away your semester sorrows in fun costumes and screams galore. 

Review: ‘No Time to Die’ thrills audience with James Bond’s latest adventure

When “No Time to Die” first was delayed due to COVID-19 in April 2020, many felt that this film was doomed. With great controversy surrounding the script, casting and even Daniel Craig himself stating that would only play Bond for the money, the consensus was that Craig’s final outing as 007 would be mediocre at best and disastrous at worst. Now releasing nearly 18 months after its anticipated release date, I can safely say that “No Time to Die” is one of the best films of the franchise.