Saturday, September 18, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Sept. 15

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Morgan Gage     9/14/21 10:19pm

“SUNFORCEOCEANLIFE”

Ernesto Neto’s “SunForceOceanLife” will open Sept. 15 at the Museum of Fine Arts Houston. Tickets can be purchased in advance. The immersive exhibit will be available through Sept. 26.

“MY FAIR LADY”

The touring company of “My Fair Lady” from the Lincoln Theater Center will be performing at the Hobby Center through Sept. 19. Tickets begin at $35 and are available for purchase online.

POKÉWORKS OPENS

Attend the grand opening of the new Pokéworks in Rice Village on Sept. 18 for a buy one, get one free on bowls and burritos between 11:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.

MOSAIC WORKSHOP

Learn the basics of mosaic art with this beginner mosaic workshop at Smither Park on Sept. 18 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. The event takes place entirely outside, and the $5 ticket includes all needed materials. Tickets are available for purchase online.

[09/16/21 at 8:31 p.m.] This article has been edited to reflect that “SunForceOceanLife” is not included with general admission to the Museum of Fine Arts Houston.

Review: “Shang-Chi,” a portrayal of the Asian-American experience

Directed by Destin Daniel Cretton, Marvel’s “Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” is a stunning visual adventure that seeks to encapsulate the richness of Asian culture. Following in the tradition established by other Marvel movies like “Captain America: The First Avenger” and “Black Panther,” the film represents an origin story that transcends the titular character and points to the greater significance of their cultural identity.

Five stars across the board for ‘star-crossed’

There’s a discomfort in talking about breakups, divorce in particular, that Kacey Musgraves refuses to shy away from. After her last record, “Golden Hour,” which detailed the singer’s beautiful, dreamy, sunshine-filled marriage, won album of the year at the Grammys in 2019, it was shocking to hear Musgraves announce her divorce from husband Ruston Kelly in 2020. The album, and thus the relationship, had such a cultural impact that it was hard to believe it could break down. At the time, Musgraves spoke very little on the subject. However, with the release of the album and film “star-crossed,” Musgraves is finally letting us in. All the way in.