Sunday, September 26, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Sept. 1

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Morgan Gage     8/31/21 10:19pm

POETRY OPEN MIC

Attend an open-mic night at Avant Garden Houston on Sept. 1 at 7:30 p.m. to listen to poets from the greater-Houston area including featured poet Kyla Jenee Lacey with the option to sign up to read your own poetry. Admission is $8.

VIVALDI’S FOUR SEASONS

Listen to Vivaldi’s Four Seasons presented by the Mercury Chamber Orchestra at Miller Outdoor Theatre in Hermann Park. The performance is on Sept. 4 at 8 p.m. Tickets are free, and there are online viewing options

PLAY IN A DAY

Join Rice’s student-run theatre group, the Rice Players, for a series of short shows on Sept. 6 at 8 p.m. in Hamman Hall. Shows are written, rehearsed and performed within 24 hours, and students who wish to write, direct or act can sign up online to participate. Admission is free.

ROOFTOP CINEMA CLUB

Go back to the days of outdoor theaters at Rooftop Cinema Club with showings of crowd favorites from “Into the Spiderverse” to the “Texas Chainsaw Massacre.” A wide variety of genres will be showing every night over the next week with seats starting at $17.50.

Review: ‘Malignant’ continually disappoints

“Malignant” has given me trust issues with director James Wan. With “The Conjuring,” “Insidious” and even “Aquaman,” I assumed any movie directed by Wan would be at least enjoyable to watch. Well, “Malignant” was the opposite of that. Filled with a storyline that drags on, predictable twists and a contrived plot, “Malignant” is a movie to stay far away from.

Rice returns to in-person theater

From canceled shows to Zoom rehearsals and socially distanced performances, theatre students and faculty at Rice have spent the past year adapting to the shifting restrictions of the COVID-19 pandemic. When COVID-19 forced students back home during Cole Thompson’s freshman year, they had the chance to witness first-hand some of the initial attempts at remote theater at Rice. Thompson, a Martel College junior, said that the student-written show they were involved in got converted into a radio play, and that they continued to participate in remote theater productions the following year.