Got Tetra? ​​Here’s Where to Spend Your Tetra Points

tetra-places-chaus-channing-wang-web
Channing Wang / Thresher

By Lauren Yu     9/21/21 10:43pm

Anyone who has attended a Rice campus tour has heard stories about how students use their Tetra points, which are $1 points that can be used at on-campus restaurants and cafés. Some seniors spend their four years at Rice hoarding Tetra to save up for a dog from the Rice Farmer’s Market before graduation — so say the tour guides, at least. But not everyone is fortunate enough to conserve their Tetra for a full year, or even a whole semester. If your student ID is burning a hole in your wallet and you’re looking to (affordably) spend on meals outside the serveries, look no further than this list of Tetra-accepting food and drink options available on campus.

Rice Coffeehouse

Rice Coffeehouse, or simply “Chaüs,” is one of Rice’s student-run businesses that accepts Tetra. Chaüs is a staple for many Rice students in need of a caffeine fix or a lively study spot. In addition to various food items such as muffins, brownies and bagels, Chaüs offers a large selection of caffeinated and non-caffeinated drinks — along with the chance your order was made by a classmate. From lattes to mango smoothies to specialized drinks like the hazelnut-and-honey-flavored Nutty Bee, you’re guaranteed to find something you’ll want to spend your Tetra on. 

Stop by Chaüs, on the first floor of the Rice Memorial Center, from 7:30 a.m. to midnight from Monday through Thursday, and slightly different hours Friday through Sunday.

Thresher staff rec: Iced Milky Way

The Hoot

Whether you’re up late studying or you forgot to pass by a servery before 7:30 p.m., The Hoot is your go-to for late-night food cravings. The Hoot is student-run and offers a variety of foods like Papa John’s pizza, Raising Cane’s chicken and Oui Banh Mi sandwiches. The Hoot also offers drinks and snacks, including chips and instant ramen. 

The Hoot is open Sunday through Thursday from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. and can be found on the first floor of the RMC across from the Rice Bookstore.

Thresher staff rec: Banh mi

Little Kitchen at Brochstein Pavilion

Little Kitchen at Brochstein Pavilion offers a number of different food options including sandwiches, salads, tacos and soups, in addition to a selection of coffees and sodas. Although it has a reputation for being a little on the expensive side, Little Kitchen is a common spot for students to get a break from servery food while socializing or studying at Brochstein.

Little Kitchen at Brochstein Pavilion is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekends.

Thresher staff rec: Almost Thanksgiving sandwich

Ambassador Chinese Café

During hours of sunlight when the Hoot isn’t open, its nook is occupied by Ambassador Café. This outlet, a satellite of the Houston restaurant Ambassador Chinese, offers lunch that departs from the usual servery fare: a selection of inexpensive Chinese American food like lo mein, dumplings and various soups. 

You can stop by Ambassador Café in the RMC, across the Rice Bookstore, between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. from Sunday to Friday.

Thresher staff rec: Crab puffs

Little Bird at Sammy’s

Little Bird is a family-owned local business that serves chicken tenders, tacos, burgers, and pizza, among other dishes. Little Bird also offers vegetarian options and sources ingredients from local vendors, according to Rice Dining.

Little Bird can be found in Sammy’s in the RMC and is open Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Thresher staff rec: Chicken tenders

East-West Tea

East-West Tea is Rice’s student-run boba tea shop. East-West Tea’s menu features a variety of milk teas, fruit teas and toppings, though the boba tea shop also offers alternative drinks like strawberry lemonade. Although East-West Tea hasn’t been open for a year — Marketing Manager Emma Yang says half of their business challenges have been caused by the pandemic — Yang says that the staff is hard at work planning their long-awaited reopening. 

Located in the RMC, East-West Tea was previously open on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7 to 9 p.m., though its staff are working to expand its hours, according to Sales and Kitchen Manager Dylan Chorley. Keep on the lookout for East-West Tea’s upcoming reopening, planned for Sept. 30. 

Thresher staff rec: Taro Milk Tea

Peggy Whitson breaks the glass ceiling, lands among the stars

Peggy Whitson has spent more time in space than any other American. She was the first female, nonmilitary Chief of the Astronaut Office for NASA and the first woman commander of the International Space Station, but despite all her success, Whitson denies any claims of special talent or giftedness. Above all else, she said, hard work and perseverance brought her to the top. 

Sitting Around the Bonfire with Ben and Michael

Being a small school has benefits and disadvantages. Some claim that one of the drawbacks of being a relatively small campus and having a strong residential college program is that it is often difficult to find events or activities happening across campus. That’s where Benjamin Liu and Michael Mounajjed stepped in.