Sunday, September 26, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Aug. 25

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Morgan Gage     8/24/21 11:08pm

FRIDAY NIGHT LIVE CONCERT

Join Houston-based Swimwear Department Aug. 27 at Discovery Green for live dance-punk music “in the spirit of B-52s and Electric Six.” The opening acts, Neighbors’ Hangout and Henry Invisible, begin at 6:30 and 7:30 p.m., respectively, with Swimwear Department going on at 8:30 p.m.

PRIME ART FEST

Prime Art Gallery will be hosting an open market art festival on Aug. 28 from 1-5 p.m. for beginner to fine artist vendors. Those who attend can support local artists and creators through their purchases. Only a limited number of tickets will be sold at $5 each and can be purchased online.

THE SELENA EXPERIENCE

Los Chicos Del 512 are bringing their Selena tribute to Miller Outdoor Theatre on Aug. 28 at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are available online two days prior to the event at 9 a.m. All tickets are free and only required for covered seating. No tickets are required for those sitting on the hill. The performance is also available to watch online on the Miller Outdoor Theatre website

HOUSTON BREWSOLOGY

If you’re 21 and want a unique night at the museum, join the Museum of Natural Science on Aug. 28 for the chance to taste over 150 beers from over 50 different breweries while having access to the museum’s exhibitions. General admission is from 8-11 p.m. Tickets can be purchased online for $50.

Review: ‘Malignant’ continually disappoints

“Malignant” has given me trust issues with director James Wan. With “The Conjuring,” “Insidious” and even “Aquaman,” I assumed any movie directed by Wan would be at least enjoyable to watch. Well, “Malignant” was the opposite of that. Filled with a storyline that drags on, predictable twists and a contrived plot, “Malignant” is a movie to stay far away from.

Rice returns to in-person theater

From canceled shows to Zoom rehearsals and socially distanced performances, theatre students and faculty at Rice have spent the past year adapting to the shifting restrictions of the COVID-19 pandemic. When COVID-19 forced students back home during Cole Thompson’s freshman year, they had the chance to witness first-hand some of the initial attempts at remote theater at Rice. Thompson, a Martel College junior, said that the student-written show they were involved in got converted into a radio play, and that they continued to participate in remote theater productions the following year.