Monday, November 28, 2022 — Houston, TX

Classes delayed by two days, all online for two weeks

breaking-news

By Savannah Kuchar and Talha Arif     8/19/21 11:31am

Classes will begin two days later than planned on August 25, and instruction will be all online for at least the first two weeks of the semester, according to an email from Provost Reginald DesRoches. This change follows a recent rise in COVID-19 cases on campus, as well as across the Houston area as the delta variant becomes more predominant, according to DesRoches.

The level of breakthrough cases on campus is much higher than anticipated, according to an announcement from Dean Bridget Gorman to the Rice community. In the email, Gorman also encouraged upperclassmen to delay their move-in. Students who live in the greater Houston area should wait to return to campus until the weekend of September 4. 

Until September 3, indoor dining in group settings and consumption of alcohol are not permitted, according to Gorman.

“In total, these measures are designed to provide us time as a community to gather more information from our surveillance testing program ... and make adjustments as needed,” Gorman wrote.

The situation and these policies will be reevaluated on September 3, at the end of this two-week period, DesRoches wrote. He said the administration still intends for instruction to be fully in-person this fall.

“We need time to test and assess the prevalence of COVID-19 in the Rice community and its related health outcomes, and to implement any appropriate risk mitigation actions, keeping in mind the effectiveness of vaccination in preventing serious illness,” DesRoches wrote.

All undergraduate students currently on campus must complete a COVID-19 test by tomorrow, and returning students also must complete an arrival test, according to Gorman.

In his email, DesRoches said the administration urges Rice community members to get vaccinated.

“Vaccination remains the single most effective method to protect yourself, your family and everyone on campus,” DesRoches wrote.

Gorman said she remains optimistic that these changes reflect relatively short-term, rather than permanent, alterations to this semester’s campus life.

“If we can all embrace these safety protocols, our ability to provide a healthy campus environment will improve and the time frame for these extra protections to be in place will be more limited,” Gorman wrote.

[8/19/2020 12:32 p.m.] The story was updated with information provided by Dean Bridget Gorman’s announcement to the Rice community. This story will be updated as we get more information.

Volleyball beats No. 20 Western Kentucky in title game to reach C-USA hilltop

In 2019, the Rice volleyball team took on Western Kentucky University in the Conference USA final only to lose in a five-set heartbreaker. They got another shot at the Hilltoppers in the following year’s title game, and again in 2021, but both times WKU came out on top. Just ten days earlier, while not in the conference tournament, the Hilltoppers beat the Owls in a fifth-set tiebreaker to secure the C-USA regular season title. Sunday, though, the result was different. The No. 22 Owls finally made it past their conference rival, on the No. 20 Hilltoppers’ home court no less, to secure a conference title for the first time since 2018. After the match, head coach Genny Volpe said that she was thrilled to see her team rewarded for their efforts all year.

Tech layoffs, hiring freezes hit Rice community

As layoff and hiring freezes increase across the tech industry, computer science students and alumni are among those at Rice expressing concern for their current and future job prospects. In recent weeks, Elon Musk halved Twitter’s staff, Meta said it was firing 11,000 employees, Amazon announced plans to cut approximately 10,000 jobs and other tech firms such as Lyft and Stripe also announced layoffs.

RUPD launches Food for Fines initiative

The Rice University Police Department launched a “Food for Fines” initiative, during which students can donate food and hygiene items to cover unpaid parking tickets. From Nov. 15 to Nov. 17, students can bring products to PCF 1 anytime from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.